LionsFanCharlie

Inline spinner, blades won't spin

Hello, rookie at rigging inline spinners here. Problem is the blades didn't spin when I field tested my creations. Tried clevis/no clevis, beads in front of and behind the clevis different size beads as well. Not sure which way to go at this point, need to start learning the science behind the lure. Any help will be appreciated..... Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I think you may need to add a couple of spacer beads behind the clevis so your blade can spin more freely.

What Mark said

you need a clevis with those blades. You need smaller beads to space the blade away from the larger bead. The large bead is robbing the spin

the spinner in the top pic toadfrog posted gives and example on what you need to do. He used the smaller beads to space the blade away from the bell body

Thanks for the chart!! Where can I find the full version of that? I ordered some #4 folded clevises, #4 colorado & french blades. Along with some #5 inline blades. The clevises on these lures are #3 easy spins so I don't think they're too big. I think from everyone here and other info I found around the net that my blades were too small and incorrectly spaced. I'd like to take a second and thank you guys so much for your assistance here, this issue has plagued me for a week or so now.... Any other reference charts or technical information would be awesome!

You are using the wrong kind of beads behind the clevis, that is one problem. The beads behind the clevis aren't just a spacer, they act as a bearing for the clevis to spin on. The second part of the problem is your design, you have the weight way to far behind the blade placement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Both true smalljaw, I was trying to do this with stuff I have laying around from my other spinnerbaits and my wife's craft supplies.... I have solid brass beads,  appropriately sized blades and folded clevises, along with a do-it inline mold on the way from LPO. Thanks for all the input guys! I'll post a pic when I get one made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smalljaw said:

You are using the wrong kind of beads behind the clevis, that is one problem. The beads behind the clevis aren't just a spacer, they act as a bearing for the clevis to spin on. The second part of the problem is your design, you have the weight way to far behind the blade placement. 

Good catch I completely missed those beads have a flat top and bottom 

• Like 1

I've made the exact same spinner only changing one thing at a time to see if I can isolate the issue as to why one won't spin, bottom line, I have no freakin idea.  Changing the number or size of the beads didn't matter.  My only guess is it's the blade itself.  In my frustration I've bent or otherwise "modified" the blade to get it to spin, sometime it worked sometimes not.  Eventually I would just cut the wire and reuse the components.

I haven't put all of these in the water yet, but the ones with hooks do work.

20200329_183120.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LionsFanCharlie said:

Thanks Kevin, those look great. Are those metal beads directly before and after the clevises?

yes they are metal (spacer beads)  Though I may try something different like coiling some wire where the beads are.  My thought is the less surface area the less friction, however it could be that I am at a point of diminishing returns, it doesn't/won't matter.  Anything worth engineering is worth OVER engineering haha

There are a lot of guys that have forgotten more about making inlines than I know and some of those have already made a few suggestions in this thread. One thing that hasn’t been discussed and  one of the elements or variables on an in-line is the type of blade used. I noticed Kevin has used quite a few Colorado blades. On an in-line, a Colorado doesn’t spin well. The French blade or Indiana blade is a much better choice for inlines with a clevis. As suggested, they need to be sized correctly. Please look at Toadfrogs first post with the pics of his inlines. Notice how the end of his French blades would come about to the end of the brass weight on the in-line. That’s sized correctly. Now, I’m not saying you can’t make an in-line with just wire and beads because you can. I’ve had success using an Indiana blade and no weight.

• Like 2