BassCrackBaits

Safe Beaker/Pyrex cylinder?

Hi all, 
I’ve recently started airbrushing a 3.5” btsmolds swim bait, model 637. I’m using the SpikeIt/LureWorks CoLure Coat paint, in my novice opinion, the stuff works great. Recently ran into a problem with splotches forming, but realized I didn’t do a good enough job removing the oil from the bait first. (Side question, I’m using pre-moistened lens wipes(isopropyl alcohol), is there something different better to use?) 

Anyhow. I have a quart of Clearasol 4650, I thought using a narrow, but taller than 4 inch cylindrical Pyrex styled heating container would be best for dipping. Anyone have any ideas, search keywords, or experience with using a regular old 1 cup size Pyrex measuring cup? I am concerned with waste & folding of the bait, should I go the way of the measuring cup.

Thanks in advance & Stay Well! 

I used to use these but if they are full of hot plastic and you squeeze them hard enough to pick them up they partially collapse  and  hot plastic can spill out the top.

IF you only fill them 1/2 they work great, plus the seem to keep the plastic hot longer than glass.

I tried to figure out some type of holder for them but was never successful. The large size didn't fit any kind of beer can holder, so I was out of luck!!!

• Like 1

I recently had a need for a large tube to dip large musky size tube baits. I had a friend to weld a bottom plate onto a short section of metal tail pipe material. I would heat the plastisol in a micro wave and pour into tail pipe and do my dipping. If you spray the inside of the tailpipe with Pam the plastic will come right out to remelt again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaBehr said:

I used to use these but if they are full of hot plastic and you squeeze them hard enough to pick them up they partially collapse  and  hot plastic can spill out the top.

IF you only fill them 1/2 they work great, plus the seem to keep the plastic hot longer than glass.

I tried to figure out some type of holder for them but was never successful. The large size didn't fit any kind of beer can holder, so I was out of luck!!!

I am a hobby pourer, and only pour for myself and a fishing buddy, but this is what works for me.

I also only heat a cup or so at a time.  To hand pour stuff, I pinch the mouth shut with big chip clip, leaving a small opening at one end to pour from, and I always wear gloves (thank you Frank).

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1