rui

Shaping baits with router

Hey guys,

I am trying to shape some baits using a router, but both sides are not coming out exactly the same. When routing the first side the bearing runs along the flat edge of the bait. I then flip the bait and route the other side, now the bearing runs along the previously routed edge causing the second side to be slightly different. Hope that makes sense.

Am i doing something wrong?

Any tips or ideas on how to get both sides the same?

Edited by rui

I was shocked when I first read this post, I imagined.... well, it is too scary to even write down. But of course, that is not the case, you are performing a round over operation.

You are trying to do a complete round-over, and that never works in practice.

I suggest that you increase the blank thickness by just 1/16", this will guarantee a good contact with the bearing. A minute or two with a piece of emery will complete the round-over that you are looking for. I use a flap-wheel in a drill press for this tidy-up operation.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, Vodkaman said:

I was shocked when I first read this post, I imagined.... well, it is too scary to even write down. But of course, that is not the case, you are performing a round over operation.

You are trying to do a complete round-over, and that never works in practice.

I suggest that you increase the blank thickness by just 1/16", this will guarantee a good contact with the bearing. A minute or two with a piece of emery will complete the round-over that you are looking for. I use a flap-wheel in a drill press for this tidy-up operation.

Dave

Dave, yes, round over. I opted for a shallower cut. I did not want to make the bait any thicker. I think that would change the characteristic of the bait more then a shallower cut. 

On 4/13/2020 at 9:21 PM, ROWINGADUBAY said:

Take a shallower cut.

Shallower cut worked. My router has a knob for fine adjustments which work well. 

• Like 1

Routers are unforgiving tools!  Especially when working in close quarters with a small piece or wood.  I suggest make some sort of jig that removes your fingers from the danger zone.  Here is a few ideas and past conversations for jigs when using the router.  I see no reason to get my fingers anywhere near there.  

www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21991-using-a-table-router-to-make-lures/

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 9:47 AM, rui said:

Hey guys,

I am trying to shape some baits using a router, but both sides are not coming out exactly the same. When routing the first side the bearing runs along the flat edge of the bait. I then flip the bait and route the other side, now the bearing runs along the previously routed edge causing the second side to be slightly different. Hope that makes sense.

Am i doing something wrong?

Any tips or ideas on how to get both sides the same?

use a bull nose bit.