porkmeatballs

Spray Max 1k Clear Coat?

Yes yes, here's yet another clear coat thread! I came across the aerosol Spray Max 1k clear coat on Amazon and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this product. I have heard lots of great things about the Spray Max 2k clear, but disliked the fact that the whole can must be used shortly after being activated. How's the durability and shine of the Spray Max 1k? 

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-max-Aerosol-Clearcoat-3680058/dp/B00B3I2DN0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XL8O6LN4RLWQ&dchild=1&keywords=1k+clear+coat&qid=1587943795&sprefix=1k+clear%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-1

Try it if you want, but after monitoring many 1K clearcoat threads here on TU for years, I’ve never seen results that were acceptable compared to the several proven coatings:  epoxy, moisture cured urethane, uv cured polyester resin, or 2k catalyzed auto clears.

• Like 1

Well it's been quite a while since I posted this thread! I actually pulled the trigger on some Spray Max 2k clear and used it on a small batch of lures. Unfortunately I ran into quite the problem.

The finish looked spectacular and was rock hard, but after a brief session in the water large sections of paint started to peel completely off a few of the baits. The paint primer that I used stayed on, but all the createx that I laid on top of it fell off with the clear coat. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

There are a few factors that I believe may have caused this issue: 

1) I allowed the painted baits (not cleared yet) to air dry in the same proximity to where I pour soft plastic lures. 

2) I clear coated the lures outside where the air was somewhat smoky

3) I wasn't wearing gloves during the painting process

Not sure if any of these factors would cause the clear to peel off, but any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

21 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Well it's been quite a while since I posted this thread! I actually pulled the trigger on some Spray Max 2k clear and used it on a small batch of lures. Unfortunately I ran into quite the problem.

The finish looked spectacular and was rock hard, but after a brief session in the water large sections of paint started to peel completely off a few of the baits. The paint primer that I used stayed on, but all the createx that I laid on top of it fell off with the clear coat. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

There are a few factors that I believe may have caused this issue: 

1) I allowed the painted baits (not cleared yet) to air dry in the same proximity to where I pour soft plastic lures. 

2) I clear coated the lures outside where the air was somewhat smoky

3) I wasn't wearing gloves during the painting process

Not sure if any of these factors would cause the clear to peel off, but any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The only thing I've found that will make water-based paint peel is either trapped moisture that keeps it soft, and caused the clear coat to crack and allow water intrusion, or expansion of a wood lure in the sun, which also cracks the clear coat and allows water intrusion.   I haven't had that problem with decoupage epoxy, like Etex, but I've had that problem with glue epoxy top coats, like D2T.  I've not had that problem with spray on solvent top coats, but I do dry my paint with a hair dryer between each coat, and again just before I top coat.

I use Etex on wooden lures, and Rustoleum 2X Gloss Acrylic on plastic and PVC lures.

• Like 1

Yes I also use a hair dryer between layers of paint. I also allow the paint to dry for about a day in my garage where it is pretty dry. These lures are all resin, so there isn't the problem of moisture inside the baits. I was also thinking that the paint is having trouble binding to the paint primer. When I try scratching the lure with my fingernail, sometimes I can get what looks like a bubble under the paint. It kind of looks like the paint and clear formed a shell that has parted from the primer.

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

The only thing I've found that will make water-based paint peel is either trapped moisture that keeps it soft, and caused the clear coat to crack and allow water intrusion, or expansion of a wood lure in the sun, which also cracks the clear coat and allows water intrusion.   I haven't had that problem with decoupage epoxy, like Etex, but I've had that problem with glue epoxy top coats, like D2T.  I've not had that problem with spray on solvent top coats, but I do dry my paint with a hair dryer between each coat, and again just before I top coat.

I use Etex on wooden lures, and Rustoleum 2X Gloss Acrylic on plastic and PVC lures.

It's certainly possible that your issue is contamination from the oils on your skin.  I wear gloves whenever handling any primed or painted lure thst isn't clear coated.  Another possibility is that your primer and airbrush paint aren't compatible, you didn't mention what you are using, just throwing that out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBee said:

It's certainly possible that your issue is contamination from the oils on your skin.  I wear gloves whenever handling any primed or painted lure thst isn't clear coated.  Another possibility is that your primer and airbrush paint aren't compatible, you didn't mention what you are using, just throwing that out there.

Hmm that could be the reason. However, I haven't used gloves in the past and have never had issues like this before. I recently picked up some rustoleum paint/primer which I used for the first time on these particular baits. All the rest of the painting is done using createx paints.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Hmm that could be the reason. However, I haven't used gloves in the past and have never had issues like this before. I recently picked up some rustoleum paint/primer which I used for the first time on these particular baits. All the rest of the painting is done using createx paints.

I use Rustoleum white paint/primer as well, two coats, twenty minutes apart, and cured overnight.  I've never had it bubble.  Maybe you still have some solvent from the primer trapped before you paint.  I do hit it with my hair dryer as soon as it's lost its wet look, and then again just before I paint it with Createx,  to be sure all the solvent is gone.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I use Rustoleum white paint/primer as well, two coats, twenty minutes apart, and cured overnight.  I've never had it bubble.  Maybe you still have some solvent from the primer trapped before you paint.  I do hit it with my hair dryer as soon as it's lost its wet look, and then again just before I paint it with Createx,  to be sure all the solvent is gone.

I do wait about a day or so before painting over the primer. I also don't actually get the "bubbles" until after I try scratching the clear coated baits. After scratching, the createx just seems to pull off. Perhaps I will have to try using the hairdryer to get rid of the solvents. I'm just bummed that I have to figure out how to scrape off these nice paint jobs and start all over again :nono: