Senkosam

lure variety makes fishing so much more interesting

As for my past using molds to make plastic lures of all shapes and sizes, I use them only if I want parts of lures to attach to other parts. Granted, making a dozen of the same lure design is fine if they are mostly what you use, but making many different designs using a candle to slightly melt the parts to be joined proves that fish will strike a universe of lure shape and action combinations. For example: here is the bodies of two grubs minus curl tails fused together and wacky rigged or rigged the usual way:

gFZ59We.jpgg8jauhM.jpg

Here the large front from a molded worm did well when used as the tail:

AKwomrm.jpgy6pveo1.jpg

A claw was added to a grub body and caught many different species:

zAc1ZZe.jpgULSz7t8.jpgwoYMb9u.jpgjO1VvkJ.jpg

Cone tails from my mold was added to a grub body and caught many species:

VDhsgKS.jpghGBdgrH.jpg

One of my best hybrids was adding the body and tail of a Kut Tail worm to a thicker grub body (Kalin):

zB7hG2j.jpg9vm3rYd.jpg2gmCC1l.jpgXKs2vGb.jpgARXI3ZN.jpg?1

Lure action, size and shape as well as how fished make all the difference limited only by the imagination such as this Mr Twister grub tail cut off and then attached to the same body:

jYYHxJQ.jpg

If you're like many that have accumulated boxes and boxes of soft plastic lures, get yourself a razor blade or scissors, candle and maybe a soldering gun to smooth the seams. With the virus restricting everything but fishing, you could very well come up with designs no one has ever sold that do better than 95% of those that are.

Edited by Senkosam

9 minutes ago, DaBehr said:

I really like the craw claw bait!

Thanks. Too bad most lurecrafters only use molds and then end up storing them for months after the thrill is gone catching fish on the same shape and size. Boring if you ask me.

Ya, nothing new, but always fun.  Back in the late 70's we started making what we called "creature baits" by combining hot melted baits together.  I believe that all of the advanced lure shapes and styles can trace their origins back to those days.

A candle is nice, but often too much carbon.  I prefer an alcohol flame or a lighter myself.  I don't do it much anymore, but it gives you a great excuse to keep and recycle your old baits.  :tipsy:

• Like 1

Amazing the amount of sh.. we collect over many decades. Finally I'm able to put it to productive use. Today I caught 48 fish from 9 am - 1:30 pm - all on hybrid lures that I can reproduce any time I want !  I'm going to start taking along two soft plastic boxes: experimental and dependables. I just wish more angler/ lure crafters would start getting into coming up with and sharing new shapes they found worked for most species. It's a dimension of fishing rarely included in the search for new lure designs that fish dictate  are the best. No more store bought lures - many of which, in my case, never worked as-is. 

• Like 1