Shepherd

A common language...

I've noticed there are two types if people that make up the majority of members here. You got your 1) garage guys 2) scientific guys. That's what's cool about this site, you get Knowledge from people who are like-minded but their mind works in different ways. Garage guys, like myself, don't really know how to explain what we know that works.  it's more like a gut feeling or intuition. Although we know what works is backed by science like water dispersion, vortices, drag and so on. It's just not in my vocabulary to describe, or it's hard to describe exactly why and what I did. For example  give me an aluminum Coke can  and I can make  a functional lure out of it yet fail to explain why I bent  a certain part at a certain angle .Scientific guys are very fascinating to me, they have what they do down to a mathematical equation or a rational reason backed by an algorithmic equation or some mathematical reason for something to do what it does, and they can lay it all out numbers. I guess what I'm trying to get at for me personally I'll tell you the truth, as a garage guy sometimes I feel intimidated trying to jump in with scientific guys conversation. Now I'll be clear no way shape or form am I saying one of the two or better or are they trying to speak above one or the other it's just how we all are made up. At the end of the day the two types of people end up with the same result no matter how they got there. I would like to be able to communicate a little more with the diversity this site has to offer. I think that would greatly increase my knowledge overall. Does anyone have any suggestions any way to better communicate? Or am I the only one that even feels this way?

Edited by Shepherd
Better word choice

Yeah it's inspired me to try to at least least learn some of the fundamentals in which I can at least understand and Converse a little more. Like I said before the more knowledge I get it, especially on the scientific side will help me greatly in all aspects of each goal I want to accomplish. I welcome the challenge even though I'm just a redneck from Alabama and I can only count to 20 if my shoes are off

• Haha 1

My user name is what it is for a reason:lolhuh:

The amount of things I know how to do but can’t explain is huge. Hand me the supplies and a goal odds are I will put it together with minimal effort. I just understand how to make things move

But I have years of trial and error screw ups and I remember the results of each mistake. I remember what caused the problem and how I countered it. Stubborn problem solver really 

once I joined here and seen how the scientific guys go about things it definitely improved my knowledge and eliminated some trial and error in my builds

In the end it doesn’t matter how you get there as long as you are happy with the creation 

• Thanks 1

Older thread here but I'll chime in:

I was a science teacher for 30 yrs. I love quantitative stuff. That being said, I'm also a portrait painter. I love the artsy stuff. My method of making something is to sketch it out on a legal pad then build it as I go along. I make hard baits out of wood. I began my measuring stuff using micrometers and marking before carving etc like I see on the youtube videos. That was then. Now I carve and sand freehand. It always comes out symmetrical and the stuff looks pretty good.

A friend of mine and my son in law are engineers. Everything is done to the 64th of an inch. It drives me nuts the depths they will go to get something to match the CAD diagram they did of it on their computer. And it usually takes forever. And also usually works out good. I drive them nuts when I just jump into it and do a lot of things freehand or measure and build as I go along from what's in my head or rough sketched on paper. I adjust and change things on the fly till it works.

left/right brain. I figure whatever works for you.

5 hours ago, DGagner said:

Older thread here but I'll chime in:

I was a science teacher for 30 yrs. I love quantitative stuff. That being said, I'm also a portrait painter. I love the artsy stuff. My method of making something is to sketch it out on a legal pad then build it as I go along. I make hard baits out of wood. I began my measuring stuff using micrometers and marking before carving etc like I see on the youtube videos. That was then. Now I carve and sand freehand. It always comes out symmetrical and the stuff looks pretty good.

A friend of mine and my son in law are engineers. Everything is done to the 64th of an inch. It drives me nuts the depths they will go to get something to match the CAD diagram they did of it on their computer. And it usually takes forever. And also usually works out good. I drive them nuts when I just jump into it and do a lot of things freehand or measure and build as I go along from what's in my head or rough sketched on paper. I adjust and change things on the fly till it works.

left/right brain. I figure whatever works for you.

You measure that sounds technical to me :lolhuh:

I think 90% of my lures I rough scetch a shape on a chunk of wood and trace a scrap piece of lexan for the lip slot then giver. I usually don’t measure or check the angles until I am finished. 

I would probably make Dave’s head explode if he watched me create a new design :lolhuh:

• Haha 2

On 7/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, Vodkaman said:

Dgagner - I am severely left brained. I am totally CAD orientated. You would drive me nuts as would most on this site. I am with the boys :)

Dave

I'm not sure what I am. I've always been very involved with the sciences and had them as a hobby since I was a kid.... What now would be called a nerd/geek. Involved in stuff not normal for a kid. Then I always loved the arts too, painting, music, etc. Maybe my left/right working together? Then again sometimes in conflict too.....

As a teacher I saw it all. I'd see the micrometer crowd absolutely go crazy when working with the 'throw caution to the wind crowd'. And since the right brainers let it fall were it may it they would be dumb founded by the left brainers frustrations but really didn't care in the long run, so it would exacerbate things.. I used to think, "well at least they probably won't develop ulcers". 

I also do stuff like this, but interestingly it takes an artistic effort but also attention to extreme detail. Not sure where it falls on the left/right brain thing. It's my niece when she wast about 18. It's actually fairly big and looks better in person.

carol.jpg.4f87e78e651e8f3cd5dff7272f140b60.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DGagner said:

I'm not sure what I am. I've always been very involved with the sciences and had them as a hobby since I was a kid.... What now would be called a nerd/geek. Involved in stuff not normal for a kid. Then I always loved the arts too, painting, music, etc. Maybe my left/right working together? Then again sometimes in conflict too.....

As a teacher I saw it all. I'd see the micrometer crowd absolutely go crazy when working with the 'throw caution to the wind crowd'. And since the right brainers let it fall were it may it they would be dumb founded by the left brainers frustrations but really didn't care in the long run, so it would exacerbate things.. I used to think, "well at least they probably won't develop ulcers". 

I also do stuff like this, but interestingly it takes an artistic effort but also attention to extreme detail. Not sure where it falls on the left/right brain thing. It's my niece when she wast about 18. It's actually fairly big and looks better in person.

carol.jpg.4f87e78e651e8f3cd5dff7272f140b60.jpg

Stunning work.

Sounds like you are 50/50. probably leaning to the right. But, neither is a bad thing. There are online tests if you really want to know.

My brother was an artist, a chainsaw sculptor. I worked on a few projects with him offering up my engineering expertise. He drove me mental :)

Davemarbury.jpg.d1317d0fadff432e9768a766c9d12821.jpg

1 hour ago, Shepherd said:

DG....that painting is beautiful man! I like to draw on wood

VZM.IMG_20161213_232424.jpg

I could see that making some nice waterfront or camp signs. That stylized fish on the left is cool.

I'm not actually fond of painting. I've done about 5 portraits in my life. When I did the first one I just bought some paints and brushes and stuff. read a bit about how to do it, mixing, thinning, canvases, etc. and did the first one. I'm not really creative, more artistic. I see it and think, "I can do that". And it happens. I wish I liked it more, I'd paint a bit. As it is I do about one every 10 yrs at this rate.

Edited by DGagner
  • Thanks 1