Saugerman

Bone color

Well, this is going to be a probably different suggestion but I'll throw it out anyway.

When I portrait paint and want to make a flesh tone you start with a fair amount of white, mix in some yellow, a little red and a touch of blue. With that you get a flesh tone depending on the amounts you used. varying the colors you can get almost any fesh (tannish) color you want from nearly white to ebony. I would think bone is in there someplace.

One thing we don't do with portraits is mix some white with brown as  you only get light to dark brown in the process, and that's all it is, a shade of brown. And black is a no-no. It just ends up muddying the color. black is used for black, not for darkening colors.

Here's a link to an online color mixer. You can use it to mix any colors in any combination. Try 11 parts white, 3 yellow, 1 red, and 1 blue. You'll get a bone color. Vary the yellows, reds, and blues, and you'll see you can do any shade of bone you want. When mixing paints you can use the same combinations in an airbrush and get similar results.

Well, that was different!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think you have to definitely define bone color.  As a bass angler I typically think of colors in regards to historical and not some modern day take on things.  So many things get twisted and defined for various reasons whether it is a color, hunting actions, etc...

I think of the late 80's (?) when bone started to "pop" up because of the Rebel Pop R dominance (again) in the bass fishing scene.  Modified Pop R's were dominating many of the tourneys on the TVA lakes.   Bone was the color that guys started to emulate because paint and topcoats flaked off the plastic baits and exposed the raw material.  The creamy off white plastic color hidden under the paint was the goal.  I would buy dozens of baits and scrape/sand finish off those baits right out of the package while sitting in my dorm room and manage to get rid of them every few weeks at the boat ramps to make a buck or two. 

White is of course the base color. Yes you can mix the primary colors together (above) to get various shades of brown or you can mix a primary and its complimentary color or you can add "brown"   With all the colors of paints available you can get very close to bone off the shelf and then just add to shift the hue.

Historically most used white with a few drops of an opaque yellow then adjusted with translucent brown to get the color dialed in.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, Saugerman said:

Thanks to all who replied to my request about bone color. I appreceiate the help. Also that color mixer is a great help. You can see what your mix will look like before wasting any of your own paint. I found all replies helpful. Thanks again.

Don't take the color mixer programs too seriously.  The computer screen never gives the exact color so what you see is not what you get.  It is close, but you will need to tweak it some more in reality.

• Like 1

All the time.  LOL  Go to a wall of soft baits at your local fishing store and you will notice 50 colors advertised, some so close to each other that without the writing on the package you can't tell them apart.  But, fisherman want this one, not that one.  Go figure.

• Like 1