Shepherd

Big Feather Jigs

10 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Well Hillbilly, ive tied a few now. This is my fist one. Not as pretty as yours, but it caught some fish. Ive gotten much better. But i thought you might get a laugh at this one i called Genesis... as you can see I didn't start the feathers till past halfway the hook. Give me your honest opinion about my first try and then I'll post my last one I tied. Still not as pretty as yours but very similar. And one more thing hillbilly, what is your opinion on using like real turkey feathers, owl feathers, Hawk, goose, hummingbird,

0912200239.jpg

My opinion is always let the fish be the judge because the end goal is to catch fish. Created many lures that look awesome to me but the fish don’t agree lol 

The jig in your pic is a variation that will have a thinner profile than the one I posted. There is nothing wrong with that because depending on the forage in the area or the mood of the fish is what will dictate what lure profile is best

There is a reason I make and fish with a ton of different lures because a good fishermen adapts their lures to the conditions they are fishing 

I have tied lots of flies/lures with natural feathers. It’s a matter of colour and if they move in the water the way you want. I am an avid hunter, ex trapper and good friends with a big taxidermist so I have all kinds of odd materials in my kit 

If I heard right you cannot possess feathers from birds of prey in the US so might want to check this before trying any. Different laws here in Canada so I am not 100% on it

On 9/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, Shepherd said:

Well Hillbilly, ive tied a few now. This is my fist one. Not as pretty as yours, but it caught some fish. Ive gotten much better. But i thought you might get a laugh at this one i called Genesis... as you can see I didn't start the feathers till past halfway the hook. Give me your honest opinion about my first try and then I'll post my last one I tied. Still not as pretty as yours but very similar. And one more thing hillbilly, what is your opinion on using like real turkey feathers, owl feathers, Hawk, goose, hummingbird,

0912200239.jpg

Nice