Kokaddict

Looking for a descent artist for custom work

2 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Back to the picture with a crack in it. It looks like to me, maybe some moisture gotten to the grains of the wood and expanded and that would split the top coat the paint the sealant ,everything, every time

Completely agree with this. Even wood that is cured will still retain moisture. If the plug is left out in the sun on the deck of the boat too long or on the dashboard of your truck, it will most certainly swell and cause cracks like this. 

• Like 1

While that may be the case, most of my lures have been stored in a dry, dark enclosure for close to 20 years now.  That lure in question however split within the first hour of using it right after I got it.  The outer sealer/clear coat has cracked in several places and, in my opinion, was never done the right way to begin with.  I know of other factory lures of the same style that have been left in the hot boat over the summer for years and years and have been dropped to over 250 feet and remain in perfect working order.

So, while there is most likely moisture in certain grains of the wood, a properly sealed lure shouldn't have this trouble in the first place... That is what I'm hoping to avoid altogether by find a good lure maker that knows what they are doing to prevent any cracking at all.

Tried that for stripping... Even used both concentrations of acetone. Left the lures soaking in a glass jar over the weekend (tied down with a lead weight) so the lure was completely submerged.... didn't phase it at all.

Short of manually sanding them down, I'm at a loss as to what to use.