CNC Molds N Stuff

HEAVY Wire Wide Gap Jig Hooks

60s might be ok.  45s and 30s are better.  

For most of my personal wide gap hook applications I have been using a Mustad 91768.  Its a good hook and covers the range of sizes I use personally.  After a few snags on braid and a few big fish the hook does tend to open up.  I mostly just use them with a Hitch Hiker copper screw lock for Curly Buzz Frogs and Curly Buzz Frog minis.  The 1/0 is just about the perfect size for the mini and the 5/0 is very good for the standard size.  They are just a little lighter than I would like.  VMC has one that might be a little bit heavier.  28 degree I think.  I bought some to try out.  Their 1/0 is longer than the Mustad 1/0.  Just a little to long in my opinion.  I tried it yesterday.  The hook point is also turned out a little further than I would like.  It catches fish, but its a little more finick to rig just right for weedless use skipping under overhangs and dragging over floating grass mats.  Their 1/0 looks like it might be a tiny bit heavier, bit didn't measure it or a pull to straighten test.  I thought maybe to try a smaller size, but 1/0 is the smallest I found in that hook.  I have not tried the 5/0 VMC vs the 5/0 Mustad yet.  

I have some baits I'd like to fish on a wide gap jig hook that is larger as well, but there don't seem to be many options in a heavy wire or better yet extra heavy wire in larger size.  

Pretty much the same config.  Copper snap on Hitch Hiker, and bare hook.  Maybe a small cast or crimped on weight on some.  

I've looked at a lot of hooks, but I am sure I have not looked at them all.  

• Like 1

I don't know any that are available in the 1/0 size but there is an option for 3/0, 4/0, and 5/0. The VMC 7346 swimbait jig hook, it is a 45 degree hook made with heavier wire and the EWG bend like the hooks you are currently using.  There is also the Mustad 92000 that starts at 3/0 and goes up. That hook is the same as the 91768 but is a little heavier wire so that may be something to look at as well.

Edited by smalljaw