Outlaw4

Prototype Lead Mold

What is the easiest material to make a prototype lead mold? I am wanting to build a somewhat flat planing style buzzbait head that is heavy enough to run through reeds well, but also will plane and stay up somewhat easily. Their are a couple of produciton ones that do this ok but want to make a few mods for myself.

I was thinking of maybe making a master out of clay and molding with RTV? Is there an RTV that works decent with lead? Thinking maybe just an open pour type mold might work. 

Buy some silicone that is made for mold making.

There are several out there that will handle molten lead temps.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with ordinary RTV.

I've used it inside of lead molds for modifications but if I wanted a detailed master I'd go another route.

Check out YouTube for some videos on making silicone molds.

Some guys also use Durams water putty but it must be baked dry.

Found some videos and looks like Smooth On Mold max 60 would work well but is a little tough to find and shipping from a few places that had it was as much as the product. It is kind of designed for tin / pewter hobbies by the looks of it

Alumalite has amazing mold putty which they actually have a video of pouring lead into so maybe that is the way to go for a simple mold, but would defiantly be limited to a top pour probably.

15 hours ago, Outlaw4 said:

Found some videos and looks like Smooth On Mold max 60 would work well but is a little tough to find and shipping from a few places that had it was as much as the product. It is kind of designed for tin / pewter hobbies by the looks of it

Alumalite has amazing mold putty which they actually have a video of pouring lead into so maybe that is the way to go for a simple mold, but would defiantly be limited to a top pour probably.

I tried modeling clay and could not get it to work right. Years ago I carved a spinnerbait head out of wood, cleared it then made a 2 piece silicone mold. That mold I used to pour some Alumilite resin in because it would handle vulcanization. Never had a lead head made because I decided on something else. 

This winter I will be making a spinnerbait head from a small JDM crankbait as the base for the body. Busy trying to learn spincasting right now so I don't have time to mess with it.

Allen