Bassmaster Rick

What Brands of Colorant Do You Prefer?

M and f should be a dead on match. Watermelon green that is.

depending on what glitter is used is how the color changes. My watermelon blue flake is a dead on match as well as watermelon red flake.the blue flake makes it greener and the red flake makes it more brown. I read somewhere m and f is what GY uses. My green pumpkin is close as well. With all that said don’t get to hung up on a dead on match. You’ll go crazy. Lol. close works.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Canga~ said:

i dont know about matching the yamamoto watermelon, but i use mostly lureworks colorants. have a couple from mf, lurecraft, doit (the x2 junebug is my favorite!) and bait plastics, but i always go back to lureworks.

Yep other than a couple lurecraft colorants all the rest of mine are lureworks & i buy  them by the pint& i have several of them.

• Like 1

With the salt in the plastic m and f tends to be the Weakest colorant . Lureworks is strong for sure even with salt but, I don’t see that as necessarily a bad thing one way or the other weaker works for me. I know it takes more colorant to get there but it’s easier to build a color than to take away. Back when I cared about a dead on match to a GY bait every color I hit was always with M n F and watermelon is straight out the bottle watermelon green n/b

• Like 1

I know I'm kind of new at making soft baits. I have been using MF and Lureworks.

But my main colourant has been Tremclad Paint, this started when I could not fine any yellow or black .

Now I use them all.

I do not know if they bleed, or will have a negative effect on the finished product, eventually I will find out.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, Bassmaster Rick said:

Just a general question for everyone. Like a ton of us I'm trying to imitate the Senko. What brand of colorants are you using, especially the watermelon color? I've tried the Do-It and MF brands and they are nice but I just can't quite match the Yamamoto watermelon colored Senko. Thanks.

This gets me real close to Yamamoto watermelon ,

8 oz plastic

add salt

black flack

16 drops Lure Craft watermelon ( mite be 4-5 years old ? not sure if it matches the formula they have now ? ) it is not the same as they had before this .

8 drops lure craft  root beer

2 drops lure craft black

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wallyc14 said:

With the salt in the plastic m and f tends to be the Weakest colorant . Lureworks is strong for sure even with salt but, I don’t see that as necessarily a bad thing one way or the other weaker works for me. I know it takes more colorant to get there but it’s easier to build a color than to take away. Back when I cared about a dead on match to a GY bait every color I hit was always with M n F and watermelon is straight out the bottle watermelon green n/b

I was able to match the exact weight of the GY Senko usiing glass bead media for the first time instead of salt. Very little color distortion.