fishordie79

True Coat Epoxy - Thank Goodness for This!

Hey TU Folks! 

I began my bait making journey about two years ago and since then have tried, with mixed results at best, to find a reliable epoxy topcoat. I must have gone through six or seven different brands so far with many baits ruined during the epoxy stage. I thought I must be doing something wrong to be so inconsistent in getting a good topcoat. I live in Germany and every year take a fishing trip to Holland with my best fishing buddies. Last year I met a guy there who is a writer for a couple of the big fishing magazines in Germany and we've kept in contact. I told him about my epoxy issues and he recommend True Coat, which is owned by a friend of his. So I ordered some and can say with 100% sincerity.....WOW! This stuff is absolutely awesome! I prepped my baits in exactly the same way I did with the other epoxies that I have tried and this stuff went on smoothly, with no fisheyes and almost no bubbles. The bubbles that were left were extremely small and easily dealt with. I know that everyone has a preference and I definitely haven't tried everything out there but now I no longer need to keep trying. This is a game changer for me and hopefully any of you folks reading this that have issues with epoxy give True Coat a try for yourself. I think you'll be satisfied:)    

Also, according to my buddy, this stuff was developed in response to the cancer deaths of bait makers like Todd Cleveland and others so with True Coat there are no toxic fumes. One less thing to worry about. 

Edited by fishordie79
  • Like 1

@eastman03 Yeah man that is correct. Developed specifically for lure making. Now, to be fair, living in Germany means there are shipping restrictions on a lot of the stuff you guys can get in North America. So, I can't get KBS for example. That means I've had to just experiment with different stuff I've found in Germany and none of what I have found thus far has worked well for me. KBS and others may be just as good but I wouldn't know because I can't get it. That said, you can imagine my excitement when I did those first lipless cranks with True Coat and patiently waited for the impending fish eyes and none appeared:) Man I'm so happy:)

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 12:38 AM, Skeeter said:

What is in it that makes it specifically for lure making?

Skeeter

;)

There are no real claims on their "site" for a reason.    Much of what one hears regarding the product are just guys making claims.   Their site isn't really put together that well compared to most businesses/companies would put together. 

Guarantee if they had tested the product they would clearly have it listed on the site.  Also will notice (may have overlooked it) that no SDS is on the site for the product.  I think it is more likely a guy found a way to make some supplemental income and it is just a repackaged product with a markup.  Perhaps something from Specialty Resin.

https://specialtyresin.com/product/bar-top-epoxy-resin/

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Travis Agreed the site isn't really a "site". It's basically a page about the product and an order form. That said, it does make the claim that it minimizes bubbles which, after the first few times I have used it I can verify. It also claims to be thicker than other epoxies, therefore requiring fewer coats. I can verify this as well. 

I checked out their instagram page and right away recognized the owner with many famous European anglers, lure makers, and fishing columnists, including my friend from Fisch und Fang and Raubfisch magazines. So either way the takeaway for me is that the guy is in the business of lure making, hangs with the right crowd, and sells epoxy that works better than anything I have used to date. Its also the same stuff recommended to me by Mikko from Solarfall Baits. I can't argue with that guy's results. 

As a bonus, I couldn't use their order form to get the product shipped to Germany. I emailed them and without question they worked with me to get it shipped here. Good enough to secure my business for a long time to come.  

Edited by fishordie79
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fishordie79 said:

@Travis Agreed the site isn't really a "site". It's basically a page about the product and an order form. That said, it does make the claim that it minimizes bubbles which, after the first few times I have used it I can verify. It also claims to be thicker than other epoxies, therefore requiring fewer coats. I can verify this as well. 

I checked out their instagram page and right away recognized the owner with many famous European anglers, lure makers, and fishing columnists, including my friend from Fisch und Fang and Raubfisch magazines. So either way the takeaway for me is that the guy is in the business of lure making, hangs with the right crowd, and sells epoxy that works better than anything I have used to date. Its also the same stuff recommended to me by Mikko from Solarfall Baits. I can't argue with that guy's results. 

As a bonus, I couldn't use their order form to get the product shipped to Germany. I emailed them and without question they worked with me to get it shipped here. Good enough to secure my business for a long time to come.  

Indeed, Joe is a lure maker.  In a GOOD year, he may make 500 lures.  They truly are works of art.  He only sells at shows, and sells out within hours of the show opening, even at the outrageous prices he charges.  His shop is a few hours from me in St Paul, MN.  There are a few videos of him floating around on YouTube and the amazing processes he goes through to make his lures.  I've gotten some inspiration for my own baits from watching him.

• Like 1

@exx1976 I was just looking at some of his work on Instagram. Geeezus that guy is good. Those are some of the best paint jobs I have ever seen. He has pictures of himself at shows with all of the guys and gals from Kanalgratis.se, Team Sporting, Strike Pro, and many others. Also says he is a columnist for Musky Hunter Magazine. No doubt he is the real deal. I was in no way trying to rep his company in the original post. Just wanted to share my experience with his product and it truly is the best I've found. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fishordie79 said:

@exx1976 I was just looking at some of his work on Instagram. Geeezus that guy is good. Those are some of the best paint jobs I have ever seen. He has pictures of himself at shows with all of the guys and gals from Kanalgratis.se, Team Sporting, Strike Pro, and many others. Also says he is a columnist for Musky Hunter Magazine. No doubt he is the real deal. I was in no way trying to rep his company in the original post. Just wanted to share my experience with his product and it truly is the best I've found. 

I haven't tried his epoxy yet, but as you noted, in the US there is no shortage of available products.  I just coated a batch with Alumalite Clear Cast, and I like it a LOT better than etex.  We'll see how they end up.

Wasn't saying it was a scam just I doubt it is much more than a repackaged product. 

I have come across the product on a few forums and some of the claims made by users should be highlighted on the site as it would really separate it from other similar products.   However no real attempt has been made.  I have no doubt the product works.  I have used Etex Light, Devcon, Bob Smith, and several DIY bar top epoxies with out much issue either (only make bass baits). 

I wouldn't hesitate to try it.  

• Like 2

@Travis Agreed about the site and possible repackaging of specialty epoxy. The only thing I will add is that my friend that writes for the fishing mags here knows Joe personally and was the one that told me that it was developed by Joe. Not saying that means that is the case but I do trust the guy.

That said, you are correct. The site should have more details about the product, its development, and its test results. As you pointed out, the way it is now makes it seem like it is just some dude selling epoxy as opposed to a legit company. 

Tight lines man!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 12:04 AM, fishordie79 said:

So is it really worth the trouble? I mean I would surely want to test it but I can't think about the hassle of bringing it from US and why not...the costs. For instance, how your invoice looked like?

On 1/26/2021 at 7:00 AM, Gone Phishin said:

I switched from Etex to TrueCoat, it's amazing epoxy, sets up excellent, easier to use, less air bubbles to deal with and dries faster for multiple coats and less prone to temp errors.  It's my goto and as long as Joe keeps making it available I won't use anything else. 

How do you go about applying a second or third coat? Do you sand at all between coats or just applying straight onto the last coat without any prep? How long do you wait between applying each coat? 

I to am curious about TrueCoat. I realize this thread was started last year but some of us have questions. Sometimes quality is worth the cost. For those living outside the U.S. I may suggest that you try to contact the manufacturer of TrueCoat. I think there is contact information on the website. Quite a few coatings, like KBS , has a half life once opened and exposed to any light source. The same can be said for most other epoxy coatings. After reading about how TrueCoat cures from the bottom up ,that is what I am interested in. For those using it, how long is cure time for baits? Do you use a drying wheel or just hang the lure?

Thanks 

How are you guys measuring your true coat? I just tried it for the first time and after 3 days my baits are still taky. Im assuming I didn't use enough of the part b or the hardener. I understand its a 1.1 to 1 ratio by volume. I ended up weighting 1.25g of part a and 1g of part b as I was instructed to do by a friend. Going to try maybe a 1g to 1g ratio and see what happens. Any insight on what works best for you would be extremely helpful. Thanks