squirtjwr

Wasting Paint

Looking for ways to reduce/eliminate wasting so much SB paint. Transferring paint from the small 4oz cans to the airbrush reservoir is messy at times. Quart can to anything is definitely an adventure. 
Do any of you use the smaller plastic squeeze type bottles for the SB paint and does it last once transferred? I tried it in one color and the bottle collapsed for some reason. 
Any tips are appreciated...paint is expensive for the little bit you get! 

Paint splatter or drips should not be a big concern, Most of the paint through airbrushes need to be thinned therefore extending the paint. If your worrying about the cost of painting most any bait, I think you're going down the wrong whole because you will lose more time and money on so many other things that will cost a lot more than spilled paint.

18 minutes ago, basskat said:

I use plain old Createx paint on a lot of my swim baits. No issues with it as long as you let it dry before re-dipping the bait. Give it a try. Readily available, stored in an easy to use container and very little waste. 

So you primarily use the water base paint then reseal by dipping in a clear. I struggle with this too because sometimes I just paint a back of a bait and then I dip the whole thing. I’ve tried spraying a clear but have had little luck. I think I need to add more retarder to keep it from spider webbing on me.   Thanks!!

4 hours ago, Frank said:

L

3 hours ago, basskat said:

I use plain old Createx paint on a lot of my swim baits. No issues with it as long as you let it dry before re-dipping the bait. Give it a try. Readily available, stored in an easy to use container and very little waste. 

I should ask...what are you re-dipping your plastic swim baits in after you use the water based Createx? I used the SB clear from Lureworks which is really good, but wondering if there is another option available that isn’t solvent based that is equally as good. Thanks 

You can spray with clear sb . It will hold for a while but will rub off sooner or later.I agree with Frank the eye dropper is the best way to put it in an airbrush. Retarder will definitely help with the cob webs. A clear dip in plastisol is best for longevity.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:32 AM, squirtjwr said:

Looking for ways to reduce/eliminate wasting so much SB paint. Transferring paint from the small 4oz cans to the airbrush reservoir is messy at times. Quart can to anything is definitely an adventure. 
Do any of you use the smaller plastic squeeze type bottles for the SB paint and does it last once transferred? I tried it in one color and the bottle collapsed for some reason. 
Any tips are appreciated...paint is expensive for the little bit you get! 

LureWorks does offer pipettes which work great for transferring straight from the can to your airbrush reservoir. An investment in some paper cups shouldn't set you back much. You can do a quick pour from the can into the cup and then pinch down the lip for easier dispensing of small amount of material. You can also use a two cup method to get the paint out of quart or gallon cans.

As far as storage you shouldn't use plastic bottles. Very few plastics are compatible and even ones that will tolerate the solvents still will loose some through evaporation over time.

• Like 1