Jig Man

Swim bait laminate

Jig Man if they are injection molds use a blending block, and keep your molds warm with a electric griddle, if they are open pour molds just keep the molds on the hot plate or griddle when pouring your plastics, this will help with the bonding of the colors. I normally pour alot of 2& 3 color laminate swimbaits this way. It takes a little while to get the feel for it but once you do it's easy. Best of luck 

the only one milled top/bottom are from bts and while im sure they are awesome,  for the price ($350 for 4 cavities) you would be better off  getting a dual injector and another mold with top injection ports.

that being said i still have to talk myself out of that bts mold every now and then!

Edited by Canga~

I use a heat gun, not a hair dryer, to reheat the first pour in my open pour swimbaits to get a better bond with the second pour.  Just be careful not to overheat, or your first pour can scorch and discolor.  It take some experimenting to get the timing right, but it has allowed me to be able to pour two layers at different times, even the next day, without losing a good bond.  When I put my second pour into the microwave to heat, I begin to reheat my first pour with the heat gun.  When the top of the first pour seems to be melting again, I do my second pour.  It's not perfect, and not as good as a twin injector laminate, but it works.

3 hours ago, Jig Man said:

My swim bait molds are side to side and I can’t get them to laminate.  I have searched high and low for one that has back and belly so I can use a laminate plate.  Does such a mold exist?

Sound like you have a mold that will not do laminates due to the design. Many molds are out there that will make laminates just have to look for molds that inject one at a time from the nose(mostly). They might have a few names like top pour or nose pour. Post up a pic of what you are wanting to buy and many here can tell you if it will laminate top to bottom. There’s plenty out there for sure. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I believe you are spot on Frank.  The one I want to laminate is not a top pour.  I get a swirly mess with my blending block.

Canga that is what I am looking for.  However, it is a bit pricey as I am getting ready to dump some cash on a Livescope setup.

RPM and Mark can you post some mold and maybe bait pics so I will have a better understanding of your processes?

Jig Man sorry I do not have any photos, but I can reccommend youtube there are several videos showing what I'm speaking of. I mostly pour open pour swimbaits, and rarely shoot unless I'm using a double injector with a blending block. If the weather was better I would most likely be pouring this weekend, but it's cold, snowy here now, not much tackle making going on right now, best of luck I'm sure you will come up with a system that works.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Jig Man sorry I do not have any photos, but I can reccommend youtube there are several videos showing what I'm speaking of. I mostly pour open pour swimbaits, and rarely shoot unless I'm using a double injector with a blending block. If the weather was better I would most likely be pouring this weekend, but it's cold, snowy here now, not much tackle making going on right now, best of luck I'm sure you will come up with a system that works.

Same here.  The next time I pour some I'll try to remember to take some pictures, but no promises.  I have trouble remembering my kids' names.