LHL

Tacky Epoxy? Check your temps!

I just wanted to briefly share something with you all that I'm sure most of you who read the safety data sheet on your epoxy already knew...

My epoxy was taking an exceptionally long time to cure (4+ days) and I couldn't figure it out. I thought that I was not thoroughly mixing it enough or that I was handling the baits too much with bare hands. I ran through the gambit but just couldn't figure things out. One day while reading the side of the epoxy container I noticed that it said the epoxy should be cured in temperatures between 70F and 80F. It's winter here and the heat is on but my indoor temperatures are still in the mid 60's....

To remedy the situation, I repurposed an old heating lamp for a bearded dragon we no longer have and have now gotten the cure time back down to 24 hours! 

So if any of you are having issues with tacky epoxy and have 'tried everything' to get it to work, check the data sheet to make sure your are fulfilling your temperature requirements. 

• Like 1

You may want to revisit the type of epoxy you are using.  Everyone is so quick to recommend etex, but I've found it's actually pretty terrible.  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG cure times, inconsistent batch-to-batch, WAY too many bubbles, all manner of nonsense.

I switched to Amazing Clear Cast.  It cures faster, harder, and with none of the problems that etex had.

It's also only in the mid-60s in my shop as well.  No issues.

• Like 1

I actually really enjoy epoxy I currently have (not etex btw). It has a very hard but not brittle finish and has a long enough work time so I can clear coat 10 baits without it setting up on me. I work slow so the long cure time is actually preferable to me. It's worked great all summer until now but it's no big deal; just glad I found the answer to my problems and potentially help someone else who may have the same issues :) 

• Like 1

Etex seems to be one of the more sensitive epoxies. I don't have the best luck with it. Don't forget to check for high humidity as well as temp. High humidity can affect the curing of some epoxies. Etex cures best at below 50% humidity. I was surprised at how much humidity there was in my basement during winter. When using Etex, I run a dehumidifier. 

https://www.eti-usa.com/sites/eti-usa.com/files/bulletins/Envirotex-Lite-Professional-Tip-Sheet2.pdf

Lately, I have started using D2T more just to carry me through until I stop procrastinating and build a UV setup. D2T seems to be more tolerant of environmental factors.

I might be a good idea to have a weather gauge set hanging in the shop to show temp and humidity.

Edited by JD_mudbug
  • Like 2

I’ve been finishing baits for three years and have used both BSI and D2T. It has been surprising to me that I have rarely had any problems with bubbles, fish eyes or excessive cure times, particularly considering how many people do. Recently I have concluded that my lack of issues is because I live in Florida and don’t experience cold temperatures. From what I’ve noticed, there seem to be more epoxy issues in Northern areas. So I agree with LHL that temperature is very significant.

• Like 2