ravenlures

3D PRINTERS

That is how I have done it so far. It is VERY expensive.

I have so many projects that require 3D printing that I am now looking for a printer. So far, unable to find anything locally but I have not looked very hard as yet. Import is not an option, Customs will double the cost of such an item.

TU members have generously offered to print my stuff for me, but customs again will 'charge' me to such an extent that local printing services would be cheaper.

I have about a dozen lure projects but so much more, a new design for a painless bicycle seat, a cheap medical ventilator, a humidity drinking water generator, solar hot water system, and more projects that I will have to search back for.

Dave

A 3d printer is costly, but also produces hazardous materials. If you can find it,the MSDS, can shed some light on the subject. A local Graphics shop bought two of them, one small one and the largest one available. I was on the dock when they arrived and I looked for the Hazardous Safety Data Sheet book. The owners didn't accept the delivery without them. They had to go online to get it. They and I were kind of surprised at the gasses produced. Do some research on this. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/13/2021 at 11:57 PM, robalo01 said:

Anyone try using a 3d printing service rather than investing in the printer? if you are ony going to use them for masters, it seem that might make more sense.

Simply they are too cheap not to just buy one if 3D printing interests you.    Easily can get one for sub  $500.  I think when I bought an Anet A8 for below $ 180.   No need to drop any more.  Software many free versions that will get the job done.  Shouldn't be too difficult to find someone on this site or any site that would work out a deal with you if it interests them.

I am sure it is dependent on one's area but 3D printing is very common any more.  It can be very easy to find someone to print things for you (the average craft store sells filament at this point).  

An option, for some, are Maker's clubs.  Can join to use their equipment and have access to  3D printers, CNC mills, tools, and various software packages.  Typically it doesn't run too much if you are social and like to learn.  If you don't join I members may print or cut things out for you for little over the price of materials as  some run out of ideas or are looking for something different to do.  I plan on having some lips cut out by a coworker if I supply materials.

If you have kids or grandkids they likely know many that have printers.  Common to see teenagers selling services on Etsy, Craigslist, etc.. to print things for cheap.   

As far as hazards.... with the amount we will be printing it would be safe to say most here have significantly higher risks they live with daily without worry: overweight, no exercise, etc...  ;)   That said something to think about and very easy to vent outdoors is so inclined.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Travis said:

Simply they are too cheap not to just buy one if 3D printing interests you.    Easily can get one for sub  $500.  I think when I bought an Anet A8 for below $ 180.   No need to drop any more.  Software many free versions that will get the job done.  Shouldn't be too difficult to find someone on this site or any site that would work out a deal with you if it interests them.

I am sure it is dependent on one's area but 3D printing is very common any more.  It can be very easy to find someone to print things for you (the average craft store sells filament at this point).  

An option, for some, are Maker's clubs.  Can join to use their equipment and have access to  3D printers, CNC mills, tools, and various software packages.  Typically it doesn't run too much if you are social and like to learn.  If you don't join I members may print or cut things out for you for little over the price of materials as  some run out of ideas or are looking for something different to do.  I plan on having some lips cut out by a coworker if I supply materials.

If you have kids or grandkids they likely know many that have printers.  Common to see teenagers selling services on Etsy, Craigslist, etc.. to print things for cheap.   

As far as hazards.... with the amount we will be printing it would be safe to say most here have significantly higher risks they live with daily without worry: overweight, no exercise, etc...  ;)   That said something to think about and very easy to vent outdoors is so inclined.

Agree with all of this... as for the health issues with 3D printing - alot has to do with the type of 3D machine/process. 

SLA many times needs to be vented to the outside as the bath resin is NOT friendly and the combo of that with the laser burning it up makes some harmful gases.  FDM with ABS/PLA are a little more "friendly" - but you are transitioning a solid plastic into a liquid state - so some off gassing can occur...  but I'd bet you'd have same warning with a hot glue gun as well.... and FDM printing isnt close to what we breath with in with sanding/paint/clearcoats baits or if you pour plastisol. 

I machine a resin material for molds - and if you read the material safety sheet - it seems like I'm gonna be dead in 2 weeks from cutting this stuff.... but if you don't machine it into dust and blow it up into the air and have proper ventilation or containment of dust - its' not an issue..... again - common sense and reasonable precautions go along way.

J.

J.

• Like 2

Ya, if you don't have a chemistry degree, or perhaps a medical degree, SDS sheets will scare you to death.  I worked at a USA research facility in the  middle 90's and they required "MSDS" for every liquid.  Well, I and friends could not resist, so we made our own for water.  Everything on it was true, found in high concentrations in cancer cells, found in drownig victims, known as a greenhouse gas, known to impede breathing, .......  The reviewer called me in the office and said that chemical would absolutely not be allowed on the site.  I asked him if he read the chemical name carefully (Hydrogen Dioxide) and did he know what the common name was?  He arrogantly said yes, so I told him to remove the drinking fountain from all buildings ASAP.  

By then he realized I had tricked him.  He forgave me, eventually.

The point is that most of what you read on SDS sheets (the M was dropped a few years ago), is meaningless without the knowledge of how to understand and apply it.  Good reads, but common sense and some practical knowledge is often necessary.

• Like 1