JasonB14

Lure Duplicator...looking for some help

No problem Jason.

The problem for me is that I have been doing electronics as a hobby on and off for some 40 years and have never had to communicate with anyone on the subject before. Stuff that is plainly obvious to me can be VERY confusing to an electronic novice.

I suggest that you and anyone else just keep badgering me until I manage to explain it to your satisfaction.

A useful tool would be a testing meter, you will be able to physically test what is connected to what when the switch is operated.

Dave

Took a little break over the weekend to do some rigging on the boat and got back to the machine last night. It’s at about 75% completion but I started wondering if I could make my master a little over sized and then offset the stylus and the blade to get the carving original size? I’m sure it can be done but anyone that has made one of these, have you played with that at all? 

I know exactly what you are thinking as I went through the exact same process. The idea is that if the master is larger then the duplicate will be more accurate, and yes this would be true, but only in the one axis. The main cause for concern for duplicators is the X-axis step which of course will not change.

The problem that you are introducing is the carving of the master and getting it right first time. A 1:1 ration master will always be correct, the thing is in your hand and you can see it. If the master is oversize then you will always be guessing at the shape, you will never be in control of the final shape.

Personally, I decided that it was a bad idea. You may want to try it once just to see, but to be able to compare results, you are still going to have to build a 1:1 master.

Dave

Since I am not a welder which I always wanted to learn, but I see that it can be done on 3/4" or 1" plywood.  I think I am going to start this project  with yours in mine. This will take time getting all what I need but some is just laying a round, now to find and put to work.  I am just making up my mind if saw or router is best. Any opinions on this. Will be using cedar and making musky lures 6" to 10" .

Wayne

I built my two duplicator machines with 18mm plywood box. I cut the sides using a 1/4" ply template and router to finish profile.

Drilling the bearing holes through the clamped sides on a drill press should have been accurate enough, but I was disappointed to discover errors. I solved errors by mounting all bearings on one side on separate plates that can be fine adjusted.

Alignment is everything on these machines.

Dave

Ravenlures - The main arguments are size of router bit, life of bit and expense. Also, at least half of the bit pass will be against the grain of the wood block.

The width of the saw blade is little more than 2mm, also 40 teeth gives long life, and very cheap. The saw blade cuts like butter.

Dave

Well machine is functional...here’s a link to YouTube video...it’s private so only access is through link. And here’s a picture of very first copy...I got really lucky or I’m really good...not sure which lol. That master was just a quick mock up to try machine. Still have to finish welding and put in my adjustment rods for limit switches. But so far I’m satisfied 

7E56FE76-7264-43CD-8153-F9023FAAF963.jpeg