fishordie79

Bubbles Lure Tape/Foil

Hey TU Folks!

I'm running into an issue that hopefully you all will be able to help me with. I have recently begun using lure tape on some baits just to see what kind of options it gives me and I really like some of the looks I get out of certain patterns. That said, and as seems to always be the case in lure making, it presents a problem. I can get the tape/foil on perfectly aligned, perfectly smooth, heat shrunk to a tight, clean fit, then come back after a couple of hours and there are bubbles popping up in the tape. I'll work out the bubbles, think they are eradicated, then begin airbrushing, and low and behold a bit later there will be bubbles in the tape and I can no longer fix them without ruining my paint job. 

Is there anything I can do about this? Any tips you all may be able to share with me? 

Thanks for any assistance!   

• Like 1

I will be interested to hear about this as well, my own thoughts are, it's where you begin the heating process that matters? I would think from the middle outwards would be the best idea to allow trapped air to escape during the process.

Hope you get this sorted buddy, must be really frustrating after finishing a bait.

Andy.

Also following to see if there's a solution.  I recently started messing with automotive vinyl, the color-shift stuff.  Had this crazy idea that I could wrap a lure, then paint some bars and gills on, and epoxy it.

After fighting for several hours to get that first one done, and try to figure the process out, I had heat shrunk, and done all manner of nonsense.  Went upstairs to eat, came back down to the shop to find the vinyl was no longer flat.

I suspect that it is pulling air out of the wood itself, but am not certain.  If and when I make my next attempt, I may put down a layer of epoxy to seal the wood airtight and give me a completely flat, solid surface to adhere the vinyl to.

That is, unless there are better ideas presented in this thread?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exx1976 said:

Also following to see if there's a solution.  I recently started messing with automotive vinyl, the color-shift stuff.  Had this crazy idea that I could wrap a lure, then paint some bars and gills on, and epoxy it.

After fighting for several hours to get that first one done, and try to figure the process out, I had heat shrunk, and done all manner of nonsense.  Went upstairs to eat, came back down to the shop to find the vinyl was no longer flat.

I suspect that it is pulling air out of the wood itself, but am not certain.  If and when I make my next attempt, I may put down a layer of epoxy to seal the wood airtight and give me a completely flat, solid surface to adhere the vinyl to.

That is, unless there are better ideas presented in this thread?

Try having a look on the tube at some car wrap videos, I'm sure they spray a solution down on the the area to be wrapped before applying the vinyl with heat, coming from a laminating profession I can tell you different laminate films come with different glues, some are super strong some are not!

Hope you get it sorted buddy :yay:

@UKandy @exx1976 so here is one I did a while back that I did with some crappy epoxy that I could just never get to work well. Had the epoxy been good the bait still would have been sub par because, and I don’t know if you can see it in the picture or not, but the foil ended up just full of bubbles after initially going on smoothly with no issues. 

Maybe a transparent base topcoat then a wipe down with IPA before applying the foul would work? 

8951C5D4-CB7C-46B5-B083-902784F7DC92.jpeg

An idea to try as an experiment maybe: after applying the foil set the bait aside for a few days, then apply a little warmth with a heat gun and smooth the tape again, even if it still looks smooth already, again set aside for a few days, wipe down and then try applying the paint.

I'm wondering if that tape/foil is ment to take paint, not all are, we have a rainbow one at work and it's specifically made to take inks & paints.

Usually if you get lifting on laminate, it's down to moisture either in the paper or the ink, so there is every chance it's the material below the foil you are using, again the only way to test this would be to set the bait aside for a while before applying the foil or I think I've heard of some people baking their lure blanks before painting/foiling, you'd have to ask others about this as I've never done it :yay:

Andy.

@UKandyThat would make sense. Also what @exx1976 said about it pulling air out of the wood would make sense. These baits are resin but maybe it is pulling air out of them as well. Hard to figure out and really frustrating because you're really close to a great bait but there is that one little nagging problem you have to work out that keeps you from reaching the finish line. 

I poured another on of these just a bit ago so Ill just set it aside for a week or so and come back to it. I'll get back with you guys once I've applied foil again. 

Thanks to you both!

@Vodkaman any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be concerned with the tape, but with what’s under it.  Raw wood? Foam? Expanded pvc trim? I make wood baits and foil them.  There has to be a waterproof/gas proof coating under the foil or any heating of the lure will cause outgassing and bubbled foil (whether heated by you when finishing the lure or by the user storing the lure in a hot compartment).

• Like 4

19 hours ago, BobP said:

I wouldn't be concerned with the tape, but with what’s under it.  Raw wood? Foam? Expanded pvc trim? I make wood baits and foil them.  There has to be a waterproof/gas proof coating under the foil or any heating of the lure will cause outgassing and bubbled foil (whether heated by you when finishing the lure or by the user storing the lure in a hot compartment).

That was my suspicion.  Some type of solid, air-free substrate (gas proof, as you called it) that you are adhering the foil/tape/vinyl onto.  Now we are back to epoxy basecoat, and installing lips prior to paint, which I just addressed in my thru-wire thread.

Oh well.  Perhaps something I can utilize on glide baits.  At least I'm learning!   :)

@fishordie79 - let us know how you get on!

Edited by exx1976
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BobP said:

Bob, how about heating the lure with a hair dryer, and then putting a coat of clear fingernail polish on it?

• Like 1

Maybe it doesn’t matter which waterproof/gas proof coating you use under the foil.  I use epoxy.  I used to use uv resin (Solarez) because it was cheap and fast but my bottle went bad and I didn’t want it as a topcoat, so switched back to epoxy.  I have Chinese brand uv resin and MCU too, but I’ve been using epoxy for decades, so...

Mark has been building closed cell pvc lures for many years.  That seems similar to resin with micro balloons to me and if he uses nail polish, I think it would work too.  If you are considering superglue just because its fast I think that’s a mistake since you want a coating that yields a smooth paintable surface by filling in all the surface voids.  Jmho

1 hour ago, BobP said:

Maybe it doesn’t matter which waterproof/gas proof coating you use under the foil.  I use epoxy.  I used to use uv resin (Solarez) because it was cheap and fast but my bottle went bad and I didn’t want it as a topcoat, so switched back to epoxy.  I have Chinese brand uv resin and MCU too, but I’ve been using epoxy for decades, so...

Mark has been building closed cell pvc lures for many years.  That seems similar to resin with micro balloons to me and if he uses nail polish, I think it would work too.  If you are considering superglue just because its fast I think that’s a mistake since you want a coating that yields a smooth paintable surface by filling in all the surface voids.  Jmho

Bob,

I use super glue to seal my PVC baits, because it works, and is fast.  You know how impatient I am.    I haven't tried nail polish, because it takes too long to dry.

Okay everyone so I did another bait with lure tape and this time got the result I was looking for. After I poured the resin copy I sanded it smooth and sealed it with superglue. I then sanded again with 320 to smooth out any imperfections caused by the superglue. Then I did a white base coat on the lure and then a transparent base and let that dry for a day. Then I put the lure tape on and let it sit for two days just to see if any bubbles arose. So far there are no bubbles, which, compared to the bubble minefield the last one produced after two days makes me happy. Once I get the bait completed I'll give you all an update. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fishordie79 said:

Okay everyone so I did another bait with lure tape and this time got the result I was looking for. After I poured the resin copy I sanded it smooth and sealed it with superglue. I then sanded again with 320 to smooth out any imperfections caused by the superglue. Then I did a white base coat on the lure and then a transparent base and let that dry for a day. Then I put the lure tape on and let it sit for two days just to see if any bubbles arose. So far there are no bubbles, which, compared to the bubble minefield the last one produced after two days makes me happy. Once I get the bait completed I'll give you all an update. 

Glad to hear you figured it out buddy :yay:

Andy.