Vodkaman

CAD Lure Body service

I am thinking of starting the ball rolling with a basic hard-bait body design service for 3D printing, providing the file type necessary for a lure body to be printed to your design within my parameters.

The ultimate aim is for the TU management to introduce a section were these files can be uploaded and  downloaded free of charge. Other CAD designers can contribute their models to the library, again, free of charge.

I have not spoken to the TU management (sorry) but at the start I am prepared to run this by email as I am already doing with my spreadsheet tools.

NOTE – this service is of no use to me as I do not own a 3D printer. I am offering my services to those who own 3D printers but are challenged on the CAD side of things.

I plan to offer a basic body shape, but there will be some 20+ parameters/dimensions that you can request changes to.

I have produced the basic outer shape, now I want suggestions for what you want on the inside for mounting eyes and ballast. This image demonstrates all the numbers that can be modified, so within the basic shape, there is an infinite dimensional possibility.

What I want from you now; what do you want on the inside, how do you want the eye provisions to be, ballast mounting, sliding ballast, and so on. Molded ballast, standard ball bearings, etc. Anything is possible at the start of this project.

Now is the time to get involved. I plan on putting the design work in early and then it will simply be a case of modifying numbers. If you get involved now, you will have a hand in defining the body structure and even shape.

You can provide me with photos of hand drawn sketches with a few dimensions. I am sure that we can come up with a useful product/service. I do not plan on spending thousands of hours on this, so if you want input, get it in early.

Dave

TU master body.JPG

• Like 3

I have completed the design. I will also provide a lip template but the lip is only a guess and will need prototyping to find the best size.

The body is 65mm (2.5"), wall thickness 2.5mm. The ballast is 2x 1/4" steel balls. The balls are free moving and so the lure should throw well.

Material is PLA, lip 2mm polycarbonate.

I had to invent a new type of eye for this lure, to enable the sliding weight design. See what you think.

Does it work, who knows. Someone will have to 3D print and test. STP file available, PM me email address for file.

Dave

1688821877_ASSYTUbody01.thumb.JPG.c8343f1b970f354b7ad482a4ac0c7f88.JPG

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Wayne - I have just done some preliminary work on a 9" lure for this project, and created a lure length of 230mm.

Obviously the lure shape does not scale up the same otherwise you would need a bionic arm to throw it. So, I would like some numbers from you to be able to continue:

Max thickness
Max depth
Weight of lure

Does it have a lip, if so what thickness, what material.

How many hooks.
hook and split ring weight.

Hanger wire diameter.

A few pics would be useful, you can pm me with the information.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Dave this is very generous of you, Thank you!

I'm sorry I'm not going to be much of a participant on this one, becasue it's far beyond my expertise, but I will be watching and paying attention the best I can in hopes of picking up something I can use or incorperate for sure. Hey Guys this is Monumental anyone with CAD experience or interested should certainly pay attention to this post. My youngest son is a CAD Engineer and I'm hoping he can help me decipher some of this so I can absorb some of it. I've never seen a 3-D Printer in action but I have watched some videos on the net and they are really good at doing what they do. I did see a video not long ago where a company printed a speed boat and it turned out awesome and performed very well.

In the mean time I will continue doing what I do, kinda like an old blacksmith beating out lures while all you high tech guys are building rocketships. Anyway I want to personally thank Dave, Vodkaman for all his help, knowledge and willingness to help others as well as helping me. He has certainly helped me and coached me through some rough patches on a few designs I was struggleing with, his knowledge on these lures is priceless. And it should not go unmentioned, maybe the only guy I know that would be willing to share, teach, mentor anyone who is striving to seek the betterment of lure crafting.

Great job, Dave! Very well done Sir. I tip my hat to you and say Thank you. I appreciate it.

Your friend.

Rich    

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich, most generous with your accolades.

Not entirely selfless actions, the feedback is going to help me enormously in my own endeavours.

I believe that technology is going to play a huge part in the future of lure building. Yes, I can appreciate the skills in carving a chunk of wood and ending up with a fish magnet masterpiece. What I do with CAD is fairly basic. Believe me, there are true CAD artists out there, they are called stylists for good reason.

I hope the CAD library comes to reality, but it may be a few years too soon. I would like to put together some different style baits and sizes for the library and so will accept contributions of data by PM, whether you have 3D printing, CAD or not.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Dave your welcome, I'm a fan wether you bennefit from it or not, you have always been there to offer sound, solid advice which I applaud you for.  This conversation could escalde but I graciouly decline, and bow out, your willingness to offer an engineering viewpoint has reached my maximum capacity and all I can say is anyone interested better get on board and join the conversation because I think it's going to be a good one.

Best wishes, and I for one cannot wait to see the baits you guys come up with. Let the party begin, it's almost like th Super Bowl of lure building. 

P.S Man I have to get up to speed! In other words my flux capacitator has reached it maximum acheivable level and if we go much further the do dad inputer will ovreload. LOL

Have fun guys, I know i will certainly be entertained reading all the input on this lure building venture.

Tight lines

Rich