basskat

How do You Northern Guys Stand This Mess?

28 degrees at 12:00pm. Six to eight inches of snow predicted for us by Monday with an additional two inches Monday night. Not supposed to get above freezing until late next week. Our county is 540 sq miles and no snow equipment. Good to be retired!

On the bright side supposed to be in the 60's after this passes.

I felt quite chilled last night as the temperature dropped to 24°C (75°F) inside the house. It could have been as low as 21°C (71°F) outside. I may have to buy a blanket! Daytime is usually no problem high 80s°F to mid 90s°F.

When I start house hunting in April, I will be looking at 500ft lower altitude, this will buy me an extra degree or two.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Usually as long as it isn't too windy not a big deal.   Keep moving  but don't break a sweat.   I went hiking last weekend and was 3 ° when I got home and there was around 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground.    You get used to it and next thing you know you are enjoying a 15 °C and thinking this isn't too bad.  

I have lived in then Chicago land area all my life. It is is cold here today with -1 Fahrenheit with a wind chill of -27. Like mentioned above you get used to it. When this cold spell breaks, and it reaches 32 degrees above zero, you will see people barbecuing and walking around in shorts. When it is so cold after a week or two , a warming trend makes everyone want to open the windows like it was Spring.  But not today, today I stayed home cleaned reels and poured jigs. I used to ice fish, but haven't done that in about 15 years. I too am tored of the cold weather. I want to move to Tennessee, but wife wants to move to Wisconsin:eek::eek:. What's all that about???????

Well I have an inch of ice with four inches of sleet on top of it. Snow may miss us. Thank God the freezing rain went South of us. Most of those guys are without power.

Forecast for tonight is five degrees with another round of freezing rain, sleet and snow again Wednesday. Not going above freezing until Saturday.

I know you Northern guys are used to this. My wife is from New Hampshire, been up there in January and want make that mistake again.

Why the heck do you think we are on here building baits?  lol   Long cold winter.  Ice fishing, whiskey, making stuff (not all those things go together).   

Yea, you get used to it.  Makes you appreciate those sunsets out on the boat on a nice summer evening that's for sure.  I don't take any fishing day for granted.   By the time we get back to -10C, it feels like t-shirt weather again.     Climbing hydro poles all day at -35C keeps me warm enough, pays the bills too.  

That'll do it!  We have had about a week of really nice weather now.  @cadman, I'm in the same neighborhood (about an hour outside the city).  It was nice to finally get the ice off the creeks and ponds so I could get out and test some lures!

I am one of those who gets impatient when it starts to warm up...we've already grilled out twice and I'm starting plants in the basement. I can't wait to get the garden going!  I think we're still about six weeks or more earlier than my first fish last season, and there's still an excellent chance of frost until late April/early May.

I interviewed for a job in a native village out on the bearing sea (St. Lawrence Island)... that's some harsh weather!  Only trees on the island grow all of 12" tall...my wife literally asked me to start looking for jobs in places like Florida or the D.R. instead.

Edited by Big Epp

Ha! No joke @eastman03.  I used to go up to a cabin in Ontario about an hour south-east of Nestor Falls on lake-of-the-woods for spring break, and we had to use every inch of the auger to drill a water hole.  It was pretty weird parking the car out on the ice.  Figure you'll thaw out by late-April?

Side note, I just looked at LOTW on Google maps... I didn't realize how huge it is!  And then I saw Lake Winnipeg...

Edited by Big Epp
  • Like 1

It has been a pretty mild winter other than the two weeks of -30.  So, if this nicer weather holds, most of the ice will be out mid-april ish.  but we are a gigantic north to south province, so up north it is still -25, and the ice roads are still have semi-trucks rolling on them.   The north often has ice right up into mid-may.  I'm on my way to Thompson tomorrow for work, so maybe I'll get a day of lake trout fishing in some time! 

I really showed my inexperience when I was living in Sweden. It was a glorious weekend, T-shirt and shorts. I decided to go up to the lake for a day of trout fishing. The last mile was an up hill hike, but the anticipation of a wonderful day was so exciting. As I climbed over the ridge the excitement turned to despair as I viewed 50 acres of ice.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1