Flymantex

Soft plastic changed color just by adding salt :(

I got a new Do-It Ripper mold and the first shoot was OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!  I used about 5 or 6 drops of smoke/black and fine black flake.  I liked the color so much I wanted to shoot some Senkos of the same color.  I added some salt to the mixture and the color change to a light blue.

Any idea why?

DSCN0113.JPG

DSCN0114.JPG

29 minutes ago, Dink Master said:

What kind of salt did you use?

It has to be the salt ... the type of salt ..

I Have added salt after I made a non salted bait a lot of times, and as Jig Man said it just needs more color when salt is added so I could see a couple more drops of black needed  to get the smoke color. But I have never saw a bait turn blue when salt is added. 

42 minutes ago, Dink Master said:

Try Morton Canning & Picking Salt or Morton Popcorn Salt

You can get it at Walmart or Amazon, most Grocery Stores has it also.

The flake in the stick bait looks different then the flake in the swimbait?

What flake did you use? How many reheats?

It was the 2nd heating of the batch - I shot the swimbait and about 10 minutes later I shot the Senko - the only thing different in the two batches was the added salt - never had this happen.

DSCN0119.JPG

DSCN0120.JPG

Try another small run. My first thought it is the salt, I would try a different salt.

The M-F flake you have should be good.

What plastic are you using? 

Did you contaminated the plastic with something blue?

Was the Senko mold clean? If the mold is new it might have something on it from the manufacturing process.

Try another run and a reheating  after 10 minutes like you did the first time without salt.

If the Senko does not turn blue then you know it is the salt or the mold is now clean.

Remelt the Senkos you made without the salt, add salt and see what happens?

Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm still figuring out the salt situation as well. the prices for salt from the bait supply companies like mf and lureworks are way over priced. I got a 50lb bag of morton salt for $11.49 and it wasn't fine enough so I ran it through a blender which made it like a powder substance, but I'm still not convinced this was the right technique to make it smaller and I think powderizing the salt is thinning it out too much, since it started to clump on me. I'm going to try and use a different blender and blend it less to see if I can make the salt crystals smaller but not powder. as for color, making black/blue definately was not as black as compared to other vendors baits when I compared them side by side, and this was after salt was added. before the salt they were just as black as any other bait makers, so the salt is definitely changing the color.