RPM

Fred Young Big O Lures " Holy Grail" of crankbaits

I know it's probably been mentioned or discussed here before but wanted to share a recent passion of mine that puts Lure building or handcrafted  lures in perspective. I'm not sure how many guys on here are familiar with the Fred Young Big O story? but If your not familiar and want a good read of crankbait history, do a google search on Fred Young Big O lures and read what your able to find, actually quite a few great articles and some good reads.

In my opinion as well as others the Big O Story is legandary and very historical, as it is the Holy Grail when it comes to Handcrafted Crankbaits, the Big O exposed the world to handcrafted crankbaits that had never been exposed before. I also think it set the bar, which may never be topped. I'm not a collector, just a fan who was fortunate to aquire 3 of these prized lures recently and plan to pass them down in honor of Mr. Fred Young.

I'm not posting this to argue, debate or even ask opinions, I'm simply posting this since we have some new members that seem passionate about lure crafting and felt it might be good to rekindle / awake the information out there on the Holy Grail of Handcrafted Crankbaits. You may ask why I say it's the Holy Grail? well recently there have been several of these prized lures that have sold for well over $1000.00 each and are some of the most sought fishing lures in the world. No other crankbait in history has done or brought recognition like the Big O has. 

Pictures are for example only to show anyone not familiar what the Big O looks like. 

Guys if your not familiar with this story I suggest you take some time and study it, it's a great read and think you will enjoy it tremendously.

Have a great weekend, Stay warm and safe.

1BigO4.jpg

1BigO6.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of people but especially younger people have no appreciation of history anymore  . Myself I love history and remember reading about the Balsa Big-O's when the cat was out of the bag (seems like it was around 1972 or so ) .

Since my income was limited to my paper route earnings at the time  I was forced to to buy one of the Cotton Cordell plastic knock offs as soon as they were available .

Thanks for sharing and congrats on securing those Holy relics of bass angling  !   

• Like 1

I remember seeing them at a small fishing tackle shop as a kid.  They were displayed in a egg carton, one per section.  They looked like something out of this world.  Of course I could not afford something so "expensive" at the time.  I did not understand them at the time and I don't know how the shop got ahold of them, but I did learn enough looking at them to foster a love and desire to make lures myself.

• Like 2