exx1976

Epoxy cure time before paint?

Now that I have my lure design all nailed down and it swims how I want, the time has come to really focus on the finish - and by finish, I mean the cosmetics.

I've made the difficult (for me) decision to use an epoxy seal coat.  It seems that is what the vast majority of other high-end builders are doing, so if I want to play the game, I need to at least keep up in that department. C'est la vie.

Question for those who do epoxy base/seal coats:  How long do you let the epoxy cure prior to sand/prime/paint?  Also, is there anything else you do with it besides sand/prime?  I know when doing epoxy on boats, you need to wash it thoroughly to remove amine blush, but I'm not sure if that applies to the type of epoxy we are using here...  I'm certainly not using vinyl esther for baits.  :D

Thanks!

As soon as the epoxy is cured, normally overnight, you can sand with fine sandpaper or steel wool.  (Epoxy cures, not dries, so it will continue to "cure" after it is painted).  A wash can be done, but don't use a solvent that cuts the epoxy or you undo the benefits of sanding.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anglinarcher said:

As soon as the epoxy is cured, normally overnight, you can sand with fine sandpaper or steel wool.  (Epoxy cures, not dries, so it will continue to "cure" after it is painted).  A wash can be done, but don't use a solvent that cuts the epoxy or you undo the benefits of sanding.  

This does not answer my question.  Sanding can be done as soon as it is sufficiently hard.  However, if you paint too soon, and the epoxy is not yet cured, offgassing would destroy the paint, yes? 

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Edited by exx1976