AyalaBaits

UV clear cots

So far I have used Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy and Allumilite UV. I like the ease of dipping and drying but I'm not sold on Allumilite. The first coat was perfect and went for a second coat. I had some shedding around the eyes and on the bill. I did let it drip slightly longer to get a thinner coat since the viscosity is pretty high and didn't want the bait to bulk up. Anyway, has anyone used Solarez? Thinking of trying KBS Diamond but I like the price point of Solarez. Anyone ever use it? 

Welcome here first of all! 

I would suggest stick with one clear coat for a while.  Give it a chance.  Typically, you will have die hard fans in each camp - epoxy, UV, and KBS (moisture cured urethane i believe).   That isn't a bad thing, it's a great thing.  That means that a lot of lure makers have had great success with their product.  But I've heard bad things about each one too, they ALL have a learning curve.  Don't give up on one before getting over that learning curve and then making a decision.  You may see someone dipping KBS and think it's brain dead simple, only to have a 100$ jar of KBS get hard on you after the first use (storage issues from what i gather). 

Anyway, this isn't a rant on any particular clear coat, I don't have experience with Alumilite UV (epoxy guy myself), but i know guys that do.  And they love it.  So there must be a way to get the desired result through some practice.  You will get tons and tons of comments from different platforms saying ditch KBS use epoxy, or ditch epoxy use UV etc...  Like i said, learn how to use what you have, and then decide for your self.   Check out Engineered angler on youtube, he has videos outlining how to use UV clear coat products. 

( Also, from what I've heard Solarez is similar, but much more smelly and generally less liked.  lol there I gave an opinion as well )

I worked on this problem with Mike Faupel at Alumilite. The first coat hardens so slick that the second coat does not adhere to the first. Dip a tongue depressor into Alumilite UV 4 inches deep, cure, then redip the tongue depressor in 3 inches deep and cure. Take an exacto knife and slide down the 4 inch part towards the 3 inch part and it will go in between the two and delaminate. 

A lot of TUers have tried Solarez.  It’s very cheap for a uv resin but has one drawback that caused many of us to drop it, namely that the surface cure is accomplished by wax flakes in the resin. After the cure is complete, you often have a white blush in the finish.  Some guys don’t mind it, some do.  Alumi-uv and the Chinese craft resins you see on Amazon are a different type of uv resin and don’t use wax flakes.

I'm new to all this so I first tried epoxy and had little luck with it (I've used it for years at work but never as a finish)

Tried the inexpensive Chinese UV product that Engineered Angler on YT talked about and first attempt didn't fully harden at first. Found out that was due to wrong light spectrum(?) in my uv lamp.

Changed to the proper (guess it's wavelength?) UV lamp (cheap amazon) and have had excellent results.

** I'm concentrating on visual quality and success rate of application here. Don't have enough time in (that and ice everywhere in MA) to test durability and longevity yet.

I figure like the above poster suggested, find a process that works for me until I can be assured of it giving the  finish I require and can replicate easily. At that point, I'll feel comfortable figuring out the other aspects of the clear coat stuff. 

One disaster at a time lol

• Haha 1

I have been using oil modified urethane (gym floor sealer) as a dip finish.  I've been really happy with it, though it takes a long time to complete several dips for a good, solid finish.  I initially dipped twice, but then started dipping as many as six times for a more durable finish.  I may try something similar with Spar Urethane, as I got a couple quarts on clearance.

Recently I build a lure turner so I can use epoxy.  It seems like there is a good deal of variability in epoxy performance with many people preferring certain epoxies over others.  I have Etex Lite, and I'm going to use it as long as I have it, and maybe by the time I run out I'll be effective at using it.

I like the apparent simplicity of AlumiUV... it certainly looks easy on YouTube...