Jump to content
Curt - RI

2021 Lure Contest is Live!

Recommended Posts

The gallery for the 2021 lure contest is now live.

Please read the rules before submitting an entry!

Every year I have to spend hours deleting multiple photos because people haven't read the rules or followed them.

Please help me by following the rules.

https://www.tackleunderground.com/contest-pages/contest-rules/

As a side note, please upload your entries in JPG format, not PNG. The system will not process PNG images, They will show up blank.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, eastman03 said:

For every entry, you have to have 100 comments in the forum. Lol.

LMAO.

There are far more people read this forum than you could ever imagine. It is a shame that more do not contribute, but they are skilled builders none the less. I do not view the gallery images as a rule, preferring to come up with my own fresh ideas on lures. But once a year I do indulge myself by viewing the competitor contributions.

Impressive.

Just a shame that they are mostly illiterate and unable to comprehend rules :)

Dave

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After Curt's initial post I both chuckle and cringe every time I see someone post multiple pictures  :huh:  It's really nice to see people start engaging for the first time.   There are so many ways to approach lure making and so many different perspectives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Big Epp said:

After Curt's initial post I both chuckle and cringe every time I see someone post multiple pictures  :huh:  It's really nice to see people start engaging for the first time.   There are so many ways to approach lure making and so many different perspectives.

It is great to see the entry photos but I too cringe at the multiple entries. Are the rules so difficult to comprehend. They must have read the rules to be able to enter the competition in the first place.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DQ, disqualified.  I sent in an entry in the wire baits category, and after thinking about it, realized the app probably didn’t meet the rule about one photo, and got DQed.  Am I done for this year, or can I enter another (single) photo?   Sorry about the mess, my bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification. I did know what DQ was referring to. I just didn't know exactly what you were referring to with regard to being disqualified.

I checked the Wire Bait category and didn't see any entries there from you. If you had posted an entry and it's now gone, it's likely due to the photo (or photos) you entered not meeting the criteria of the rules. This would have caused it to be deleted, with no questions asked.

As for being DQ'd permanently, no. You get another opportunity before the deadline for the contest. Just submit another photo of your entry, being sure to follow the rules ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My opinion is that the competition for 2022 needs some revision.

I am very sure that every member entering the competition has access to video. It is plainly obvious that competitors consider that a single image of their creation is simply not doing justice. Multiple views are allowed within a single JPEG image, but this idea too does not do the lure justice.

I suggest that an optional

video of no more that 20s in length is more than enough to demonstrate the aesthetics of a custom painted lure.

For the actual functional lures, apart from the images or video of the aesthetics, a functional video of the lure in action should be included, not more than 30s, after all, we are supposed to be designing functional lures and not simply artwork.

From a personal point, I would like to see a CAD section and/or 3D printed section. I would agree that it is probably too soon for this section, but perhaps in a couple more years.

This competition needs to be more realism based. At the moment it is way too much based on aesthetics. I would like opinions.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

My opinion is that the competition for 2022 needs some revision.

I am very sure that every member entering the competition has access to video. It is plainly obvious that competitors consider that a single image of their creation is simply not doing justice. Multiple views are allowed within a single JPEG image, but this idea too does not do the lure justice.

I suggest that an optional

video of no more that 20s in length is more than enough to demonstrate the aesthetics of a custom painted lure.

For the actual functional lures, apart from the images or video of the aesthetics, a functional video of the lure in action should be included, not more than 30s, after all, we are supposed to be designing functional lures and not simply artwork.

From a personal point, I would like to see a CAD section and/or 3D printed section. I would agree that it is probably too soon for this section, but perhaps in a couple more years.

This competition needs to be more realism based. At the moment it is way too much based on aesthetics. I would like opinions.

Dave

Even though my lack of computer skills and the fact things are basically frozen this time of year around here would make it a pain making a video I like your idea

I think maybe a new category biased in action would be interesting and leave the existing categories as is 

This year I don’t even know if I will complete my entries in time 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Even though my lack of computer skills and the fact things are basically frozen this time of year around here would make it a pain making a video I like your idea

I think maybe a new category biased in action would be interesting and leave the existing categories as is 

This year I don’t even know if I will complete my entries in time 

Just to clarify, I am talking NEXT year's competition or beyond, and I am merely making suggestions.

We currently have the 'Pretty' section in the hard baits category which I guess appeals to aesthetic crowds. But, TU should be about progress, R+D, lure development. I feel that these attributes of lure design are largely ignored.

Yes, the hard water thing does make video a problem this time of the year, that is merely a timing issue. I just want the competition to mean something regarding lure progress. As things stand, this is an art competition. I want this competition and the TU site as a whole to mean more.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...
Top