shawn l

little help needed

If your mold has thin appendages that are falling off, the first thing I would do is contact Dead On, and see what they recommend.  It may be the worm oil is softening the thin stuff and making it weak.

In the past, when I had that kind of a problem, I'd try a process of elimination to try and figure out what's the problem.

I would start by skipping the worm oil, and see if that helps.

Next, I'd try and use a harder plastisol, to see if that's the problem.

If harder plastisol solves it, but makes the bait's too stiff, I'd dial back on the hardener until I got a soft enough mix that would still hold up.

For me, that process has worked.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Did you mix it real well prior using the plasttisol?  Did you have any hardpack in the botttle???  Almost every issue I've had with the plastic "not performing" has been due to me not stirring/mixing the crap out of the plastisol before I pour.... and once you take 16oz of incorrectly mixed plasitsol out of a gallon - that whole gallon will be off to some degree cause now the formula is off.

The night before I pour I shake/stir/etc the crap out of my gallon jugs till there is not one spot of anything stuck to bottom of the jug - then let them sit overnight before use to minimize bubbles... haven't had any issues since doing that.... before taking this step I'd have tacky baits, or stuff that didn't' seem right at times.

J.

4 hours ago, SlowFISH said:

Did you mix it real well prior using the plasttisol?  Did you have any hardpack in the botttle???  Almost every issue I've had with the plastic "not performing" has been due to me not stirring/mixing the crap out of the plastisol before I pour.... and once you take 16oz of incorrectly mixed plasitsol out of a gallon - that whole gallon will be off to some degree cause now the formula is off.

The night before I pour I shake/stir/etc the crap out of my gallon jugs till there is not one spot of anything stuck to bottom of the jug - then let them sit overnight before use to minimize bubbles... haven't had any issues since doing that.... before taking this step I'd have tacky baits, or stuff that didn't' seem right at times.

J.

Yup 90 percent of the time, this is the problem when first pouring.  If the plastic IS mixed well, Mark nailed it. 

This past weekend, I had gone to help a young man pour some baits. He's a newbie. I've been pouring about 25 years.

He was complaining his baits ( senko) were coming out sticky and tacky. First thing that came to mind was cooking temps.

So we started pouring craws. Using my molds, and his Dead on  for worms.

Got the plastic up to temps. but I got the same results. Know as an above poster mentioned, once you remove X ounces of improperly mixed liquid, no matter how well you mix it, the formula is off.

So he let them cure overnight, the next day he tells me they're better. But not tack free.

This was the weekend. And sure enough on Friday I ordered my first gallon of Dead On Worm blend. Came today. Poured a dozen senkos in the Yamamoto cnc mold. No tacky thing going on but man! Bubble City,

Any suggestions to fix this? I did nothing different with the plastic than I've ever done with other brands. Baits are super soft too. That can be fixed, But are the bubbles a normal thing with dead on?

I had used a moss green dye and I'm wondering if that may have separated and the watery part caused a boil?

First temps were at 360. Bare plastic senko weighed 8.5g added salt weight went to 10.0 a little stiffer.

I can live with all that, but the bubbles!

OK I rambled. but to the OP, check your temps. That should solve the falling apart.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:46 PM, mark poulson said:

If harder plastisol solves it, but makes the bait's too stiff, I'd dial back on the hardener

Or you could do what we've all done at some point. Add softener, then if too soft add hardener, and then add softener.

Until you get it just right

Be honest guys, we've all done it.:D

Deep down inside we're all just mad scientists1

14 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

This was the weekend. And sure enough on Friday I ordered my first gallon of Dead On Worm blend. Came today. Poured a dozen senkos in the Yamamoto cnc mold. No tacky thing going on but man! Bubble City,

Any suggestions to fix this? I did nothing different with the plastic than I've ever done with other brands. Baits are super soft too. That can be fixed, But are the bubbles a normal thing with dead on?

I had used a moss green dye and I'm wondering if that may have separated and the watery part caused a boil?

First temps were at 360. Bare plastic senko weighed 8.5g added salt weight went to 10.0 a little stiffer.

I can live with all that, but the bubbles!

I had issues with Dead On bubbling as well to the point that I bought a vacuum chamber.  Depending on how much you bought and what container it came in, I would HIGHLY suggest that you not shake the container and instead use a plastic tip mixer that you attach to a drill.  Experienced much less bubbling when mixing this way.

In my experience and considering where I live (central Alabama), moisture is normally the number one culprit when I get bubbles in my plastic.  Moisture can also get in your colorants, flake, powders, and other things we put in our plastic.  Salt is also an absolute magnet for moisture.

15 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

Or you could do what we've all done at some point. Add softener, then if too soft add hardener, and then add softener.

Until you get it just right

Be honest guys, we've all done it.:D

Deep down inside we're all just mad scientists1

Oh if I had a dollar for every time............

22 minutes ago, Bassinfool said:

I had issues with Dead On bubbling as well to the point that I bought a vacuum chamber.  Depending on how much you bought and what container it came in, I would HIGHLY suggest that you not shake the container and instead use a plastic tip mixer that you attach to a drill.  Experienced much less bubbling when mixing this way.

In my experience and considering where I live (central Alabama), moisture is normally the number one culprit when I get bubbles in my plastic.  Moisture can also get in your colorants, flake, powders, and other things we put in our plastic.  Salt is also an absolute magnet for moisture.

LOL was just pouring a few minutes ago and thinking to myself that I should consider getting a vacuum chamber. I never had the bubble issue with any other plastic I used.  And I've tried them all. In all my years of pouring I had never seen bubbles like this.

I was using a larger container of coloring and it had separated quite a bit. It was one of those colors that haven't been used in so long you wonder what it looks like. I'm thinking too much of the liquid medium hadn't mixed and boiled out?

So this time pouring, I used no coloring, I did use salt and glitter. And stirred a lot less. Though in my initial pour I stirred no differently than any other plastic.

No bubbles. No tacky though that wasn't the problem.

And I'm aware of the moisture issue. I had ground my own salt when I ran out of the suppliers salt. And it has clumped up some. I don't know if the salt we all buy has an additive in to keep it from clumping.

I have god knows how many jars of glitter and coloring, and of course only use 5 of each at most. And although we yankees have humid summers, moisture in those has been nil.

Second pouring of Dead On has been ok. but when I use this up, back to MF.

10 minutes ago, alsworms said:

Oh if I had a dollar for every time............

That dollar wouldn't have lasted too long. You'd be spending it on molds, supplies, glitter...etc

We that fish are good for the economy!

• Haha 2