Lochie

Lure movement

There is multiple reasons the action could be dead but it comes down to 4 thing’s most of the time tow point, lip shape, lip angle, and weight.

If the lure rides slightly nose down with minimal weight you can’t change much here. But if the weighting is heavy the lip needs to be able to apply more force to move the body 

your lip angle looks good but in principle the more or longer the lip catches water pressure the more power it has. But the angle also effects depth

lip shape wider equals more wiggle thinner less. Length effects depth and wiggle to a lesser degree 

tow point the closer to the lip the more power the lip has farther away decreases 

I hope this helps. I am off to work so hopefully someone here will chime in and help you more

good luck 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

There is multiple reasons the action could be dead but it comes down to 4 thing’s most of the time tow point, lip shape, lip angle, and weight.

If the lure rides slightly nose down with minimal weight you can’t change much here. But if the weighting is heavy the lip needs to be able to apply more force to move the body 

your lip angle looks good but in principle the more or longer the lip catches water pressure the more power it has. But the angle also effects depth

lip shape wider equals more wiggle thinner less. Length effects depth and wiggle to a lesser degree 

tow point the closer to the lip the more power the lip has farther away decreases 

I hope this helps. I am off to work so hopefully someone here will chime in and help you more

good luck 

Thanks heaps for your reply

8 hours ago, Lochie said:

Thanks heaps for your reply

No problem 

A good way to learn is carve a body and seal it. Use tape/elastic bands to hold weight in temporary locations. Elastic bands to hold hooks. Have multiple different lips and pressure fit them so you can swap them out. A small eye screw that can be used to test different tow points 

Just go out and test different combos. When you have what you want carve a good body and finish it knowing the action will be good. Keep notes and you can repeat it over and over

I can just build a lure with good action but my best lures are often from testing multiple options with the method above 

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 7:29 PM, azsouth said:

It would help if you gave exacts, material used, size, weight placement, and overall weight with all hardware.

Plowing generally indicates too much weight/size to bill size/angle of bill.

Agreed with this. It'd try concentrating most of your ballast between the lip and front hook hanger. You could also try placing the lip more perpendicular to the body or the line tie under the snout.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Epoxy resin clouded
Turbidity occurs when water enters the mixture, or there is moisture on the treated surface. Therefore, before pouring the epoxy, make sure that the surface is completely clean and dry. Another reason for turbidity is the acceleration of the drying process using a hair dryer.

Edited by InterPalssz
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, InterPalssz said:

Epoxy resin clouded
Turbidity occurs when water enters the mixture, or there is moisture on the treated surface. Therefore, before pouring the epoxy, make sure that the surface is completely clean and dry. Another reason for turbidity is the acceleration of the drying process using a hair dryer.

Depending on the type of resin used, he could also be looking at amine blush.  This is common with many types of marine-grade resins used in ship building/repair.  Since I don't recall that he specified what resin he was using, I wouldn't rule this out.  Some of the West Systems stuff will do this - however, it's not a big deal.  It comes off with soap and water.

Google "amine blush" for more info.

Edited by exx1976
  • Like 1