Jump to content
Fern

Tube Dudes! I need some help.

Recommended Posts

For the guys making big tube baits 8" - 10", what are you using to dip your rods in? how are you keeping your plastic hot (assuming your container doesn't fit in the microwave). what rods are you using for dipping? I currently make only up to 6" tubes and the pyrex cups i use are nowhere near the size i need to dip 8-10 inch tubes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a great question!  I hope you can get answers from some of the people here!  I'm curious as well.  I attempted to make myself a 10" tube by making my own "rod" out of wood, and sealed it.  I dipped it into a pyrex container, but like you said, that is like 4-5" max.   I tried to pour the plastic over it to see if that would flow enough to give it a coat, but it was a hilarious embarrassing mess haha.    It was mostly just a little side project that I was working on because I have some extra plastic.    I'm curious to know if there is a easy alternative to do this!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Travis said:

Horizontal dipping in a bread pan kept warm on a hot plate.  

I've seen people mention this technique a few times from previous threads I've dove deep into. im assuming just bend the wire like an L and dip horizontally then set the rod vertically, let drip and do it again a few times?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fern said:

I've seen people mention this technique a few times from previous threads I've dove deep into. im assuming just bend the wire like an L and dip horizontally then set the rod vertically, let drip and do it again a few times?

 

Yes that is all there is to it.  Once you find the appropriate sized rod you can braze/weld on your handle/hanger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dink Master said:

Travis nailed it!

But if need to vertical dip you can use a piece of copper pipe to hold your hot plastic.

vertical tube dip.jpg

I was just looking at piping for this very reason, i'm glad some have been doing it as it assures me it will work. I was even thinking about placing a smaller diameter tube inside and just filling it with plastic, the inner tube would be just a slightly smaller diameter tube than the one I would fill so the tube is not incredibly thick. figured if i coated the sides, it should slide right out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I would like to suggest this old thread

The original link to the Italian Site is

http://www.bassmaster.it/a_tube.htm

Unfortunally it isn't more possible to see the 2 videos on youtube.

Anyway, the trick to obtain such big tubes is to fill hot plastisol inside the rigid PVC pipe and rotate it sliding the plastisol for all its length. After some rotations you have to cool the PVC pipe with current fresh water ... simple.

Important: you must wear heat gloves, glasses, long suites

Please, let me know your experience with this technique and ask if you need.

Bye Cami

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, interesting idea!  I wish i could see the video.  

In the original tackle underground post, the materials you mention a rod thin enough not to ruin the tube.  What is that for?  I'm sure it would make more sense if I would see the video.   You just lube up the PVC pipe, pour in some hot plastic and keep it rotating.  Then cool it carefully, and remove it.  Or does the other rod go inside the PVC to make like a mould?

Either way, thanks for the links!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Eastman03, as said unfortunally there are anymore the 2 vids and I'm no the guy who showed this simple technique (I usually make 4" tube dipping rods)

The first hyphotesis is the right one:

1) tap the PVC pipe with the concave cork

2) lube the inner side of PVC pipe

3) pour hot plastisol for around the half of PVC pipe length

4) start to rotate the PVC pipe with an angle more than 45°  ... more horizontal the pipe is, more long the tube will be - I apologise but I really don't remember if "Il Gatto" closed also the other side of pipe. I think not

5) cool the PVC pipe under a current fresh water tap

6) with the thin rod (a stiff pc o wire) detach the tube from the PVC pipe - the rod must be used between the external skin of tube and the internal wall of pipe

... simple, but for sure a little bit dangerous: when you put the PVC pipe under the fresh water, using thermal gloves of course, you must be really careful that no one drop of water can enter inside the pipe.

Bye Cami

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cami said:

Hi, I would like to suggest this old thread

The original link to the Italian Site is

http://www.bassmaster.it/a_tube.htm

Unfortunally it isn't more possible to see the 2 videos on youtube.

Anyway, the trick to obtain such big tubes is to fill hot plastisol inside the rigid PVC pipe and rotate it sliding the plastisol for all its length. After some rotations you have to cool the PVC pipe with current fresh water ... simple.

Important: you must wear heat gloves, glasses, long suites

Please, let me know your experience with this technique and ask if you need.

Bye Cami

Thank you for your suggestion, Cami. 

 

I have no experience making tubes in this fashion so I have a few questions. how does the rounded head form inside the pvc pipe? do you get consistent thickness results using this technique?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the rounded head would be the step one that he mentioned.  Tap and screw a cap onto the one end of the pipe.  And make sure that the cap is "domed" or concave, to round off the head end.   

I imagine getting the correct thickness would require some trial and error.  It looks pretty good in the pictures though! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The round head of tube bait is obtained by the concave shaped cork that close one end of PVC pipe. You have to chose a cork with an external diameter that fit without any clearance the inner diameter of pipe. You can shape the concave with a round grindstone. Finally let seall the cork with the working tape.

The thickness will be not the same in all length, but thicker in portion close to the head and thinner where you will cut the stripes of the tail.

The results are really performing tube baits ... that catch Pikes.

Bye Cami

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cami said:

The round head of tube bait is obtained by the concave shaped cork that close one end of PVC pipe. You have to chose a cork with an external diameter that fit without any clearance the inner diameter of pipe. You can shape the concave with a round grindstone. Finally let seall the cork with the working tape.

The thickness will be not the same in all length, but thicker in portion close to the head and thinner where you will cut the stripes of the tail.

The results are really performing tube baits ... that catch Pikes.

Bye Cami

Thank you, Cami for your explanation. I look forward to trying this method out. Hopefully they can catch stripers too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking at pics of an   asparagus steamer  there's no doubt in my mind that hand dipping any size tube would be easy as long as you can keep the plastic warm, stirred & also keep enough in the pot for the depth  needed to make the length you want.  Also  a downsized version  for normal size tubes would be real nice. . It's a great idea for sure. I'm going to see what i can find since i'm cutting my own tails anyway. :yay:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Les Young said:

After looking at pics of an   asparagus steamer  there's no doubt in my mind that hand dipping any size tube would be easy as long as you can keep the plastic warm, stirred & also keep enough in the pot for the depth  needed to make the length you want.  Also  a downsized version  for normal size tubes would be real nice. . It's a great idea for sure. I'm going to see what i can find since i'm cutting my own tails anyway. :yay:

I was looking around & wondered what about a bain marie pot for normal sized tubes?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those pots are really thin and get hot spots real easy. Unless you stick it in a deep fryer and use the oil to keep the temp up. That way would just make me hungry while I work. My son told me about that way along time ago just never did anything with the idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Erick Darkman Prado said:

I have not used it but the best advice I got was using an asparagus steamer on a hot plate or griddle. You can get one at Walmart or Target for about $20 or so. I have one inch round aluminum rods that use to dip. As soon as I get a steamer. 

How much plastic would be be required to fill something like that up to the top?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Travis said:

Reason to dip horizontal.....

I hear yah. A guy i spoke to on facebook that makes big tubes recommended using this copper stub out to make big tubes using the horizontal method. Ordered a few diff sizes. 

Copper stub out.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...
Top