Jump to content
kingmfg

Dead On Plastic

Recommended Posts

So I just got my first gallon of Dead On, and I don't have any problem with viscosity, but the bubbles are intense. There is more air than plastic. I'm using black label saltwater and stirring with a stainless steel butter knife in a pyrex cup, using a microwave. The pic is after 60 seconds in the microwave before I've even stirred it, it only gets worse after I do. The bubbles aren't just on top, they're suspended throughout the plastisol. It's also very vecloudy, which may be due to the bubbles? It sets up fine but the appearance is awful.

Prior to this I was using baitplastics and never saw anything like this.

 

 

PXL_20210411_173516371.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2021 at 1:47 PM, Apdriver said:

Thank You, Bryan. Basskat seems to be happy with it too. I’ll be ordering soon.

As a 'newbie' with only a years experience I have found Bait Plastics to be very good and user friendly. They have about 8 different harnesses. You can get a sampler pack for $20. I like the #242 and a gallon is $39.99 with free shipping.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, BTL said:

So I just got my first gallon of Dead On, and I don't have any problem with viscosity, but the bubbles are intense. There is more air than plastic. I'm using black label saltwater and stirring with a stainless steel butter knife in a pyrex cup, using a microwave. The pic is after 60 seconds in the microwave before I've even stirred it, it only gets worse after I do. The bubbles aren't just on top, they're suspended throughout the plastisol. It's also very vecloudy, which may be due to the bubbles? It sets up fine but the appearance is awful.

Prior to this I was using baitplastics and never saw anything like this.

 

 

PXL_20210411_173516371.jpg

I just bought my first gallon from Dead On. Same problem. I've been pouring for around 30 years and never had this.No matter how careful I am my baits are loaded with bubbles.

I also find it takes my baits a lot longer to cure than other brands I've used.

 A friend went the same route and just bought his first gallon of Dead on as well. Same issue, More bubbles than fine champagne. Ended up going to MF.

Back to MF plastisol for me too. I'm pretty sure an average hobby bait maker like myself, doesn't need a vacuum chamber, or the expense of one. I'll spend the extra $20 or so, and use the left over money from not buying a vacuum chamber for more fishing stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 7:22 PM, Tiderunner said:

I just bought my first gallon from Dead On. Same problem. I've been pouring for around 30 years and never had this.No matter how careful I am my baits are loaded with bubbles.

I also find it takes my baits a lot longer to cure than other brands I've used.

 A friend went the same route and just bought his first gallon of Dead on as well. Same issue, More bubbles than fine champagne. Ended up going to MF.

Back to MF plastisol for me too. I'm pretty sure an average hobby bait maker like myself, doesn't need a vacuum chamber, or the expense of one. I'll spend the extra $20 or so, and use the left over money from not buying a vacuum chamber for more fishing stuff.

I'm glad it's not just me. 

DOP gets rave reviews from most people and sells out as quickly as they stock up. It's nothing but air and yellow plastic for me. Not even sure what to do with it. I don't understand what the difference is between experiences, I know not everyone is degassing it.

I really want to try some MF, but the price does kinda scare me off. Very intrigued by easy stretch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I got to admit I tried the DOP.

The fanboys over on the DOP FaceBook page do nothing but rave about it.

Well I bought the Finesse blend for some small ice baits and was very unhappy with it. No matter how long I waited or cooled the molds the legs on most small creatures came out deformed and they stayed "sticky" and would not cure. Coarse the answer they had was, you must not have stirred, shaken or blended it enough. I had. Well then you must not have heated it enough, I had. Well then you must have heated it to much, I had not. Well you should buy a vac chamber, I have one. Then I got to looking at the bottles after it had sat for some time and it was obvious that they had not mixed the drum enough before they put it in the bottles. I mixed the 3 bottles together and sorta got it to work.

Time to go back to MF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well honestly this always happens to repackagers. Buy from a company that makes it and at least one extra hand is not in the mix. Mf, Spikeit Lurecraft and baitplastics(poly sol) make it so less of a chance for mistakes. Over the years I have used many gallons of plastic and really never had a problem with any. But I came from an industry that needs to make sure everything is mixed well. I say well and to others there well is not good enough. 90% of all problems are user errors. I know some don’t like to her that but it’s true. When you resell it you have to deal with those kind of issues. Stick with what you are comfortable with and your mind will be at ease. I saved enough money buying my first drum from a company that needs to be vacumned to buy a vacuum and still have it to this day. Many years later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Due to the immensely rising shipping costs of my 30 year supplier ($56 per 5 gallons) and all the hype of the DOP, I decided to purchase the DOP Black Label Finesse blend and at least for me it was not a desirable plastic. Not clear, a bunch of micro bubbles and very very sticky baits. It was well mixed and heated to 365deg.  I do not use a microwave, I just let my pots heat it. I will say this....its inexpensive that's for sure. I use 35-55 gallons a season and was looking forward to saving a few bucks on this raved about plastic.....a let down for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently went through a gallon of DOP saltwater plastic. It definitely does not set up clear when you heat it at all and the bubbles are a bust unless you de-gas hot. I prefer to de-gas volume beforehand vs after I heat each time. 
I do think the DOP is probably a better choice for open pour guys because it sets up with low viscosity and pours good. The baits I poured set up good and shiny and look and feel great. 
This was from a gallon. I have buckets coming and hopefully I can drill mix/stir this and de-gas in volume and avoid a hot de-gas, otherwise I think that is a deal breaker. BP, Calhoun and MF all set up hot and clear and don’t bubble up after de-gas but I think the DOP stays pourable longer where one could pour 2 cups (give or take) 20-40 cavities before having to reheat. Pretty hard to do that with BP or Calhouns. I’ll post an update in the weeks to come after more research 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 2:31 PM, RedRum said:

I recently went through a gallon of DOP saltwater plastic. It definitely does not set up clear when you heat it at all and the bubbles are a bust unless you de-gas hot. I prefer to de-gas volume beforehand vs after I heat each time. 
I do think the DOP is probably a better choice for open pour guys because it sets up with low viscosity and pours good. The baits I poured set up good and shiny and look and feel great. 
This was from a gallon. I have buckets coming and hopefully I can drill mix/stir this and de-gas in volume and avoid a hot de-gas, otherwise I think that is a deal breaker. BP, Calhoun and MF all set up hot and clear and don’t bubble up after de-gas but I think the DOP stays pourable longer where one could pour 2 cups (give or take) 20-40 cavities before having to reheat. Pretty hard to do that with BP or Calhouns. I’ll post an update in the weeks to come after more research 

I can honestly say as the follow up that I’m never going to use Dead On Plastic again. 
it’s pure garbage!! 
Ive tested About 4 brands and I’m pretty impressed overall with Calhouns. That stuff is clean, clear and DOES NOT oil up later. 
I open pour and dip tubes and other than the viscosity of Calhouns at temp being a little heavy, I must say it’s clean quality. Dead on is exactly what it is it’s dead on arrival. 
They claim it’s humidity but doesn’t seem to be a factor with anyone else’s plastic. 
Huge regrets for buying that shit!!

Dead on Shit in a bucket. Don’t make that mistake 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been using DOP for a few years and hate to say it your all dead on !!  I cant tell you why I have never changed but after I go thru (I think I have 4, 5 gallon buckets right now) I am going to change to something else I guess I just got used to it.  I de-gas before and after I heat it up the harder the plastic the less clear it is IMO.  If I wait to de-gas until after I heat it up it will boil over and put plastic in the bottom of my gas chamber.  It has a ton of bubbles I do stir the crap out of it and thought it was simply from me stirring to much.  Great post glad I took the time to give it a read 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JB1 said:

I have been using DOP for a few years and hate to say it your all dead on !!  I cant tell you why I have never changed but after I go thru (I think I have 4, 5 gallon buckets right now) I am going to change to something else I guess I just got used to it.  I de-gas before and after I heat it up the harder the plastic the less clear it is IMO.  If I wait to de-gas until after I heat it up it will boil over and put plastic in the bottom of my gas chamber.  It has a ton of bubbles I do stir the crap out of it and thought it was simply from me stirring to much.  Great post glad I took the time to give it a read 

its kind of sad, dead on gets a great reputation from youtube, but if you watch the videos saying how clear it is, you cant even see the sides of a 1 cup pyrex, and it always has bubbles in it. i use bp and have been very happy with it, might try calhoun again but im happy with bp so no real reason to change. either way ill never try dead on after hearing what real bait makers have to say. youtube and some facebook fanboys sell a lot of dead on, not for me thats for sure!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 4:16 AM, BTL said:

If I need a vacuum chamber just to use Dead On, I think I'm gonna stick with Baitplastics. It's much clearer too, not to mention less expensive.

I'm getting ready to try the DOP black label for the first time also and I'm not gonna get a vacuum chamber just to use DOP plastisol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, JB1 said:

Looks like the bait plastics is a tad higher from what I see but to speed up my process might be worth it I do get a bit of a deal with DOP I buy around 20 gal a month (I know you all probably use more)

just went to all three  sites (bait plastics, calhoun  and dead on), checked 5 gallon buckets to my door (wisconsin). to my house bait plastics is the least expensive. could be different to other places! 

 

bait plastics : 126

dead on black bucket: 142

dead on white bucket: 158

calhoun: 150

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...
Top