ravenlures

Tips on using candy pigment

Ohh those are going to be my next purchase for sure.  Wish I could help you more.  The one thing I constantly hear is that the colors can 'bleed' between layers or clearcoat.  I believe the solution is to use 4030 (i think) as a bleed stopper after a layer of paint.  

On 3/31/2021 at 7:38 AM, ravenlures said:

4030 to mix with pigment and 4012 to reduce it to spray that is what I am reading to use. So it looks like it is up to me to try this out. Any more help would be great but it might be me telling the story on this paint, good luck to me.

Wayne

I've also been thinking about using the candy colors on some baits, but with everything else going on in life right now, I'm thinking that will be a next winter project.  I have watched a number of YouTube videos about the candy colors, and if memory serves, they do recommend specific base colors under the candies to get the effect that they advertise.  In at least one of the videos, they shot two different base colors on two different pieces to compare the outcomes.  It appears to be a fairly straightforward process in terms of actually shooting the color, though (again, if memory serves) they recommend many, many thin layers to achieve the effect.  Fewer, thicker layers of paint will not do near as well.

The results certainly are sharp, and I think that a candy green or candy purple or even a candle apple red musky lure would certainly catch fishermen, if not fish.

Please do keep us posted on your findings, I'll be watching this topic closely.  :)

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!

• Like 1

I saw those on you tube also.   Good question what comes first the chicken or the egg in our case the fisherman or the fish, nothing ventured nothing gained. A lure compared to a flat metal plate, just don't know smaller area I will see, might be a waste of paint but if it does what I want then I will be satisfied if they catch both the fisherman and the fish then success I think. I will post  some pictures when done still working on the master to test, then a mold and start painting. I move so fast a snail just past me.

Wayne

• Like 2
  • Haha 1