CultaKult

Softbait airbrush paint

Hi all, been reading this forum for a few years while trying to work out my soft bait creation processes. I've been struggling to find a company willing to ship to Australia any of the airbrush paints for use on soft baits. They are classed as dangerous goods and need special treatment. In desperation I have been trying to make my own and after 2 years of failures thought I would post here to see if anyone has any tips?

Looking for something like spikeit airbrush paint that doesn't require dipping afterwards.

Look for pvc based products. They can be found at places that sell pvc pipes. The clear glue(solvent) is just like what you will need. You will have to find a solvent to thin it with but can be found. And for colors find powder pigments. Should not be to hard. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Frank said:

Look for pvc based products. They can be found at places that sell pvc pipes. The clear glue(solvent) is just like what you will need. You will have to find a solvent to thin it with but can be found. And for colors find powder pigments. Should not be to hard. 

A recipe, similar to the French one, is 50% PVC glue + 50%Methyl Ethyl Chetone (MEK) + powder pigment. For the PVC glue I use Tangit. It dries very quickly, so I'm able to use it only with a brush. To thin it and have more time for airbrushing, you should add butanone, but I have never tried.

Bye

Cami

• Like 2

Funny, we talk all the time about the dangers of just pouring soft plastics, and now we are talking about using chemicals that make plastisol seem like distilled water.  Are people just massively overstating the problems with plastisol, or are we understating the dangers of this process????

I am not sure that MEK and "butanone?" would be even close to safe to use in any enclosed environment.  For sure, I would use the best possible respirators if I did use them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Funny, we talk all the time about the dangers of just pouring soft plastics, and now we are talking about using chemicals that make plastisol seem like distilled water.  Are people just massively overstating the problems with plastisol, or are we understating the dangers of this process????

I am not sure that MEK and "butanone?" would be even close to safe to use in any enclosed environment.  For sure, I would use the best possible respirators if I did use them.

Really appreciate the responses here. Has given me some more things to try and absolutely will be seeking safety advice before blasting my experimentations through an airbrush.

Will report back if I have any success (or further failures). 

• Like 1