Sniper

3D Eye Applicator Tool

Probably a silly question, but I'll ask anyway.  What type of tool are ya'll using to grab 3D eyes off the sheet and apply to your lures?  I tried tweezers but they didn't work that well.  Now, I'm using a small X-Acto blade.  Looking for other options.

Thanks guys, guess I'm on the right track but definitely need more practice.  It's a slow process.  Only other tool I could think of would be a long needle like the ones used for stitching and embroidery.  But was wondering if you could see the hole marks left behind.

I use a bodkin from my fly fishing equipment. Basically a long needle with a wooden dowel type handle. Try to slide the tip in under the eye to pull it away from the backing rather than stabbing into the eye. It can be a bit finicky at times but as you drop the eye down in to place  there is less surface area for adhesives like crazy glue to grab on to the round needle surface, yet it provides just enough surface area to hold the sticky backside of the eye while moving it from paper to lure. I then use the rounded handle end to press fit the eye down into the crazy glue to set it in place. I have had a few drop off while moving from backing to lure but nothing is perfect . Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 8:04 AM, canuck 2 said:

I use a bodkin from my fly fishing equipment. Basically a long needle with a wooden dowel type handle. Try to slide the tip in under the eye to pull it away from the backing rather than stabbing into the eye. It can be a bit finicky at times but as you drop the eye down in to place  there is less surface area for adhesives like crazy glue to grab on to the round needle surface, yet it provides just enough surface area to hold the sticky backside of the eye while moving it from paper to lure. I then use the rounded handle end to press fit the eye down into the crazy glue to set it in place. I have had a few drop off while moving from backing to lure but nothing is perfect . Hope this helps.

This is exactly the issues I was running into.  The tools I was using had too much surface area and the glue was sticking to the tool.  I started using a small kitchen SS skewer that I imagine works similar to your bodkin.  So far this works better than the exacto knife or tweezers.  

• Like 1