Salmonroy9

J plug blanks

Very familiar with J plugs and have made many wooden plugs but could not duplicate the action of a plastic J plug with wood. Made many good plugs for salmon/trout but they were different 

sorry I don’t know where to get plastic J plug blanks but I can tell you wood is not a good substitute 

I don’t buy blanks so have not looked for them either 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Very familiar with J plugs and have made many wooden plugs but could not duplicate the action of a plastic J plug with wood. Made many good plugs for salmon/trout but they were different 

sorry I don’t know where to get plastic J plug blanks but I can tell you wood is not a good substitute 

I don’t buy blanks so have not looked for them either 

@Hillbilly voodoo

"I can tell you wood is not a good substitute" ...Sorry to hear that as the J-plug was one of the baits that I wanted to try. Was going to buy a commercial J-plug to use as a template but won't waste my time if it can't be duplicated in wood.

Would you please share what you tried. I was thinking that some plastic baits (because of air chambers) might need a combination of two different density woods (like maple and basswood) to get the proper balance/action. 

Cheers! 

Van

1 hour ago, VanBass said:

@Hillbilly voodoo

"I can tell you wood is not a good substitute" ...Sorry to hear that as the J-plug was one of the baits that I wanted to try. Was going to buy a commercial J-plug to use as a template but won't waste my time if it can't be duplicated in wood.

Would you please share what you tried. I was thinking that some plastic baits (because of air chambers) might need a combination of two different density woods (like maple and basswood) to get the proper balance/action. 

Cheers! 

Van

You can still create some great wooden salmon/trout plugs but I could not get the same fast erratic action as a J plug. In my opinion it’s the weight difference that is the biggest factor. I used western red cedar, spruce, pine, and a few other random woods I don’t remember. I also tried cutting them in half and creating a hollow chamber 

In all honesty I didn’t push too hard to create and exact duplicate because the plugs I was making caught fish. I drifted into making my own plugs biased on the principles of a large variety of salmon plugs instead. 

it been a long time since I have built this style of lure and they were the first style of hard baits I built 

• Like 1

@Hillbilly voodoo

Thanks for the reply!

Never used a J-plug, I like the shape (looks like it would be good in wood) and was going by its reputation as a trolling plug.

Was intending to troll the J-plugs at slower speeds for lake trout and walleye so a less erratic, swim-bait type of action would be desirable. 

Thinking about my application and the action I am looking for I might be better off to focus on swim-baits. The local fish seem to prefer a slower wobble over a frantic wiggle. 

Van

1 hour ago, VanBass said:

@Hillbilly voodoo

Thanks for the reply!

Never used a J-plug, I like the shape (looks like it would be good in wood) and was going by its reputation as a trolling plug.

Was intending to troll the J-plugs at slower speeds for lake trout and walleye so a less erratic, swim-bait type of action would be desirable. 

Thinking about my application and the action I am looking for I might be better off to focus on swim-baits. The local fish seem to prefer a slower wobble over a frantic wiggle. 

Van

They are deadly for Lakers and it’s erratic action at low speeds is why they are a popular laker lure. Personally I find a static action is the worst thing for Lakers do to their following habits. This was fishing in Northern BC

have not tried them for walleye 

I have caught a ton of fish on wooden plugs using a number of different style of faces and angles. My recommendation is build some and try them out you can achieve a variety of different actions