Millzee

Resin Mould advice please

G'day, I'm just getting started and have designed, carved and tested a few lures that I'll make moulds for to cast with RC-3 Alumilite Polyurethane Casting Resin and I'm hoping someone might save me a bit of testing.  Is this resin strong enough to make bibs??  If I leave the bibs in my lure and make the moulds, will the resin cast be strong enough for the bibs to not break??  I'm thinking that a small bib on a swimbait I've made should be ok as it won't really need too much strength (no line pull).  A large diver I've made and designed with a large 3mm thick aluminium bib and I've had a thought that if I reinforce the underside of the bib by building it up thicker and shaped back into the lure so the tow point section is between 5-10mm all the way back to the lure, will this be strong enough made out of resin???

Are you thinking of making the bib out of resin or just casting an aluminum bib into the resin body?

If casting an aluminum lip into a resin body it yes it is possible. I have done this with lexan just drill holes in the lip so the resin goes through the lip

making a resin lip would be possible but depending on the micro balloon/resin mix it might be delicate to hitting the bottom. I have successfully made lures similar to flatfish and believers out of resin 

hope that helps 

• Like 1

If you are thinking as a substitute for lexan or metal and trying to keep it thin  I can see there being durability issues. If you poured the bib out of pure resin and the poured your mix for the body it would be a little better 

You can definitely make resin wrigglers/plugs/lipless crankbaits though. It may just be a good excuse to try something new

personally I built nothing but lipless baits for years and I am considering going back in that direction just because I enjoy building lipless baits more 

• Like 1

I think in this case you may aswell give it a try :yay: see if your resin idea works, do some testing

If the resin does not hold up after testing then you already have the mould shaped with the correct bib sizes, so you then just pop an aluminium or lexan bib in before pouring next time.

I will also be trying out what you are, I'm a few months off yet though, so your feedback would be awesome :yay:

I'm still waiting to test some jerk/glide baits I made months ago :lol:

Andy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

I may get bored and test it for you guys since I have a mold or two kicking around I could likely test it on

I am just trying to remember if I have a mold that is not 7 inch plus crankbait so it won’t cost so much in materials to test

the diver I'm making is a three piece 230mm long for chasing big Murray Cod

1 hour ago, Millzee said:

the diver I'm making is a three piece 230mm long for chasing big Murray Cod

I have a good idea what you are thinking and if it’s what I am thinking you would need a relatively thick lip compared to lexan/metal 

I bet most of my lipped pike lures would be comparable to what you use for Murray cod. I actually built a surface paddle based off the ones you Aussies use and have had decent results for pike here in Canada 

Check out the believer made by drifter tackle company or the platypus made by westin lures. These will give you an idea on an alternative option to bibs that could easily be done with resin. Maybe a modified version of what you are thinking could be possible by adapting the principles of these lures

• Like 1