william cohen

starting to make my in line spinners

I would like to make my own in line spinners, Bought a Panther Martin 3/8 oz spinner. Measured the sonic inline blade to be about 1 3/8 inches which would be a number 5 blade. From what I have gathered a .031 wire size is appropiate.   I would appreciate any pointers or criticism .I intend to build the spinner with measurments above. thank you Bill PS adding appropiate bead size. thank you Bill

Going to be making some panther Martin imitations myself.

I'll be using the Do-It worm rig sinker mold to cast the bodies.

The Do-It lure body mold is another great one to have.

With it you can make rooster tails and a bunch of other type spinners.

I like to order wires with the loop on one end just because it's easier and it saves a little time.

I like to order them longer than I need just in case I want to make something longer.

You'll likely start on making panther martins then later expand what you want to make to different spinners.

I bought wire in coils but getting them straight is a little bit of a pain so now I just buy them pre-cut.

I own a Hagen's and a twistech wire former.

Both work well but the twist tech is a little easier to use and about $70 cheaper.

Though you could always just use round nose pliers and other pliers to make them, I really prefer the simplicity and the look I get using the wire former.

The problem right now though is I'm not sure anybody has wire formers in stock.

As far as the blades go keep in mind that worth blades might be a slightly different in size than Lakeland blades though they both may be marked a number five or a number three etc.

I know it's been posted before which companies sell blades from which manufacturer but I don't remember it myself.

Sometime You might buy blades from different vendors and they might be a little different. That's because they sell blades from different manufacturers.

And I don't believe there's an exact standard to what a certain blade size is supposed to be. Just some things to be aware of when buying parts.

Make sure and get some metal bearing beads as they'll work better directly under the blade.

You can buy blades pre-painted or buy the plain metal blades and paint them yourself. Though you want to make sure you paint them evenly to keep the blade balanced.

I think a lot of guys find it easier just to buy the prepainted blades.

Hopefully that helps a little bit good luck you'll have a lot of fun making spinners as it's kind of addicting.

• Like 1

.031 wire should be fine that's what I use on a lot of my salmon spinners as that's what I measured a salmon sized number 5 Blue Fox vibrax to be.

If you have the tools you could measure the wire on a panther Martin that you're wanting to replicate.

Or find someone with a set of calipers or a micrometer to measure it for you.

• Like 1

.031 will work fine. If you will be fishing in areas with larger species, I would go with .035 on that size spinner for more durability. Some of the waters I fish have northern pike which will hit small spinners particularly in spring and fall. I use .040 wire for spinners in the 1/2 oz. size range. 

• Like 2