bigblue

is there anyone still making wood lures?

1 minute ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

I make one off wooden lures for myself and all my resin lures are molds of a wooden master

i would say a large portion of those making their own hard baits carve them out of wood

cool! how about painting patterns what could i use to come out with nice patterns to follow that are standard paint schemes?

On 9/12/2021 at 10:31 AM, bigblue said:

cool! how about painting patterns what could i use to come out with nice patterns to follow that are standard paint schemes?

My painting skills are ok but it is not my strong point so I don’t offer a lot of advice in this area

The only advice I can really offer is check out YouTube and practice when it comes to painting. Personally I have found the best thing for me has been play with the air bush and try things out till it works. 

3 hours ago, Travis said:

I think the first cranks I painted were somewhere around 1995. My use of the internet was absolutely zero at that point.

Just get to spraying....:lolhuh:

My first were around the same and no Internet, books, or mentors just plan old stubborn winging it carving along with rattle can paint jobs :lolhuh:

they were ugly as sin but some of them caught fish

My cranks came out fairly well to be honest.  The negative was I was using a Testor's Model Airbrush with canned air.  I had to the float the cans in hot water in my dorm room sink and they used an "anti-huffing" agent in the cans so it didn't take long for the nasty bitter foul taste to develop.