jkurtkrauss

Flashabou issue

5 hours ago, toadfrog said:

Getting action from that type of material is tough s you know. Either put something like a piece of surgical tube under it to push it out or cut it extra long and tie it with the long part towards the top . That way when you hold it by the eye it falls back and makes it's own natural flare.

X2

I tie my flashabou on a rivet. The flashabou being tied close to the rivet head causes it to flare out.  I saw that method in the following video. The skirt tying starts at 12:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJdI0TXQWk

You can put a skirt collar on top of the thread to cause the flashabou to flare if for some reason the rivet does not.

I have also made some flashabou skirts using a cheap skirt tool (tube with a hooked wire inside it type). I just put a skirt collar on the flashabou using the tool. You can roll a piece a scrap paper around the flashabou like a homemade 'cigarette' to make it manageable to get it in the tube. I use needle nose pliers to get the flashabou skirt on the rivet. Slide the skirt up to the rivet head and the use a zip tie over the skirt collar to hold it in place. Pushing the skirt up to the head of the rivet causes the skirt to flare. I was lazy and made a couple like this at the beginning of the year because no tying is involved. They have lasted so far.  I have also used the skirt collar and zip tie method to make flashabou spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

• Like 1