aulrich

Lead or brass lure bodies for in-line spinners

I am just starting to play with making in-line spinners is there any advantage to using the do-it lure body mold vs just the standard brass bodies.

The first thing that comes to mind is I would be trading time and finish options for money.

Since it only goes to 3/8s I'll still be buying brass for pike sized spinners.

I use both depending on what I'm trying to make.

I do like the lure body mold and use it.

For some spinners such as a rooster tail that is what they call for.

But I also keep a few brass bodies on hand when I want a more traditional Meps style presentation.

You don't have to limit yourself to one or the other.

There are also some other do-it molds that make good lure bodies as well.

The worm rig sinker mold makes a body very similar to a Panther Martin body.

You can get in in sizes up to 5/8 oz.

I have used tungsten weights to make spinners. I like the black ones and the silver ones in particular. They work well especially if you want to make a spinner that will run deeper. I also use brass weights with a gold blade and black nickel brass weights with a black nickel blade. I use lead bodies when I want color I can't find in a painted weight. I have painted some of Bass Pro Shops XPS Finesse Weights for spinner bodies instead of pouring bodies. 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-xps-finesse-weights

• Like 1

The thing about inline spinners is you have a world of items to use for bodies . That is if your not anal retentive about exact weights, As you can see in the picture this lure is made from plastic bead to worm weight and shrink tube. Think outside the box . Free your mind up to a world of possibilities. In so doing you might just save yourself some money.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toadfrog said:

The thing about inline spinners is you have a world of items to use for bodies . That is if your not anal retentive about exact weights, As you can see in the picture this lure is made from plastic bead to worm weight and shrink tube. Think outside the box . Free your mind up to a world of possibilities. In so doing you might just save yourself some money.

Very well said toadfrog!

I like to carry a few different options in sizes, colors, and styles when I'm fishing.

Some days the first lure I tie on catches them all day long and other days I have to switch it up to find something they like.

Or something catches several fish and then the bite turns off until I find another color or style that the fish like.

I like to let my imagination, my budget, and my previous experiences determine what tackle I'm going to make and use.

But personally I would never limit myself to brass lure bodies or just using the lure body mold.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn