Fishin Big

Uv curing

I use a UV nail polish light from Amazon.  Wave length?  No idea.  Time to cure?  From a few seconds to half an hour depending on the specific resin you are using.  If the resin doesn’t want to cure completely, I stick it outside in the sun on a lure turner for half an hour and that, so far, has always done the trick.  Sunlight contains ALL the UV wave lengths and hits the Earth all day long, clear sky or cloudy.  Maybe not the best scheme for a commercial builder, but it works OK for a hobby builder like me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobP said:

I use a UV nail polish light from Amazon.  Wave length?  No idea.  Time to cure?  From a few seconds to half an hour depending on the specific resin you are using.  If the resin doesn’t want to cure completely, I stick it outside in the sun on a lure turner for half an hour and that, so far, has always done the trick.  Sunlight contains ALL the UV wave lengths and hits the Earth all day long, clear sky or cloudy.  Maybe not the best scheme for a commercial builder, but it works OK for a hobby builder like me.

Bob, I do the same.

• Like 1

Remember that there is so much more than wattage. 

You need to consider the wavelength put off and the required wavelength for the specific UV Resin you are using.  Most UV sources have a fairly wide range of waves, but most also have a sweep spot that is strongest.  I prefer 365 nm for what I use.

Remember also that distance from the light is super important.  If you double the distance between the light and the lure than you only have 1/4 the light strength.  Yep, the strength of the light is inversely proportional to the distance squared.

So, if Bob and Mark and I use the fingernail light curing lights, our lures are about an inch or two from the light.  Let's assume that our lights are 10 watts each, and we have four lights in the device for a total of 40 watts.  Now, assume Killintime uses his lights, 2 of them at 30 watts each.  That is 60 watts total.  Will his 60 watts cure his faster?  Actually, I bet he is at least 4 inches from his lures, so his energy is only 1/16 as strong as ours (or about that, I'm tired and going by mental math LOL).  So, our 40 watts compare to his 60/16 or less than 4 watts.

Consider this when building some form of UV curing device.  Engineered Angler has a good contained system but his is not the only style.  The number of his lights, and the UV range, and the distance from the lure all make a huge difference.

• Like 1