Big Epp

Multiple Colors Powder Coated

You don't need to cure separate colors most of the time. I have one pattern, Table Rock Shad, that I have to cure the base coat first before adding the accent color. That pattern has a chartreuse body with a purple back and when I do the body and then add the purple and then cure it,  where ever the purple touches the chartreuse it turns brown. So I paint the chartreuse and then cure and afterward I add the purple and then cure again with the purple and no problem. That is a rare case, most of the time the colors don't blend when curing. I use a hobby sandblaster to spray powder paint, it is like an air brush but you can't do fine detail. The good part is that you can blend colors and you can get good fading effects, watch my video on how I do this.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the tip. I sometimes look at an airbrush color chart to check how certain colors look with a white base coat versus a black base coat. It gives a  decent color comparison light to dark with any combination. Dick Blick catalogs shows examples in the airbrush paint section. I sometimes think it's better than a color wheel. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 10:35 PM, Fishin Big said:

I have done a couple of jigs using Boss crinkle powder coat and further searching found a guy on jigcraft.com he goes by jungle jim. Check out some of his work. I don't know the exact process he uses, but I come close with just a few jigs. 

Jim does amazing work. He posts a lot  on do-its forums & tries to help everybody out by explaining how to do about everything he does when it comes to jigs. 

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 6:51 PM, Apdriver said:

Apdriver, I got sidetracked when my daughter, her husband, and their two very small boys all got Covid, so I haven't tried to do it yet.

They are all fine now, so I have no more excuses.  

35 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Apdriver, I got sidetracked when my daughter, her husband, and their two very small boys all got Covid, so I haven't tried to do it yet.

They are all fine now, so I have no more excuses.  

No problem at all, Mark. Sometimes life, work and many other things get in the way of our hobby. Glad they are all doing well. Still interested in your success or failures on this deal. I haven’t been able to make any baits in awhile.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, Apdriver said:

No problem at all, Mark. Sometimes life, work and many other things get in the way of our hobby. Glad they are all doing well. Still interested in your success or failures on this deal. I haven’t been able to make any baits in awhile.

I ordered some BOSS Jig Armor Black Silver Foundation.  Is that the crinkle powder that guy uses?

14 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I ordered some BOSS Jig Armor Black Silver Foundation.  Is that the crinkle powder that guy uses?

I believe he uses TJ's Tackle brand because they call theirs silver crinkle.  I've done those heads and the problem is if you paint 50 of them like that you end up with 50 different looking paint jobs. It never really comes out the same way and you don't know how it is going to come out until you cure it. 

The reason they look that way is the color seems to be replacing the veins in the powder. When you use veined powder paint the veins are random so the designs that come out on the head are random and it isn't always a good result. 

That said, it does give you a different look that you don't see and looks cool.  I will also say this, it seems that you need to use bright colors otherwise it just looks like a sloppy paint job so while very cool, it is very limited.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, smalljaw said:

I believe he uses TJ's Tackle brand because they call theirs silver crinkle.  I've done those heads and the problem is if you paint 50 of them like that you end up with 50 different looking paint jobs. It never really comes out the same way and you don't know how it is going to come out until you cure it. 

The reason they look that way is the color seems to be replacing the veins in the powder. When you use veined powder paint the veins are random so the designs that come out on the head are random and it isn't always a good result. 

That said, it does give you a different look that you don't see and looks cool.  I will also say this, it seems that you need to use bright colors otherwise it just looks like a sloppy paint job so while very cool, it is very limited.

Thank you.  I'll check out T.J.s for the crinkle powder.

15 hours ago, mjs said:

Have not been able to make heads that look like the ones jungle Jim makes. I have protec silvermine powder paint. Tried putting on base colors thicker, to get more flow, but no go. Ended up painting them all over in black. 

Silvermine is not the same as veined powder paint and pro-tec doesn't have one. Jig armor silver/black, TJ's silver crinkle, Columbia Coating silver vein will all work but silvermine won't because it isn't a veined paint. Silvermine has black splotches in the paint but it isn't veined, there is a difference and that is why you can get the heads to come out. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. Figured the silvermine was the issue, but didn't know why. Don't really care for how the silvermine turns out on its own and thought  could get a use out of it. 

How many out of 10 turn out well would you say? Understand for commercial sale not repeatable is problematic, but I am just having fun. Not that I mind repainting duds, but kind of end up with a thick paint job.