Big Epp

Multiple Colors Powder Coated

On 3/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, smalljaw said:

I believe he uses TJ's Tackle brand because they call theirs silver crinkle.  I've done those heads and the problem is if you paint 50 of them like that you end up with 50 different looking paint jobs. It never really comes out the same way and you don't know how it is going to come out until you cure it. 

The reason they look that way is the color seems to be replacing the veins in the powder. When you use veined powder paint the veins are random so the designs that come out on the head are random and it isn't always a good result. 

That said, it does give you a different look that you don't see and looks cool.  I will also say this, it seems that you need to use bright colors otherwise it just looks like a sloppy paint job so while very cool, it is very limited.

I did try TJ's Crinkle Powder, and I had the same results as you.  Completely random, and hard to repeat.

I used the tap the brush technique, and got my best results using the Crinkle over chartreuse.

For me, the secret is to use a very light dusting of the Crinkle.  I'm still experimenting with different ways to get the powder on thin enough to let the underlying coating show through.  That guy Jungle Jim is a magician!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I did try TJ's Crinkle Powder, and I had the same results as you.  Completely random, and hard to repeat.

I used the tap the brush technique, and got my best results using the Crinkle over chartreuse.

For me, the secret is to use a very light dusting of the Crinkle.  I'm still experimenting with different ways to get the powder on thin enough to let the underlying coating show through.  That guy Jungle Jim is a magician!

Mark, JJ has that technique down to a science and its brilliant!!! I don't know if you tried his method but he taps on a good amount of one color then repeats it for the second color and then dips the jig in the silver vein or crinkle. 

I really like that look, unfortunately they don't all come out looking awesome. I'm sure if you asked him the percentage of good to bad he'd give you his results which I can guarantee you his number are better than mine...LOL!!! 

The point is that no matter how much you try, the look of the head is completely random and you will get some that don't look good at all.  If you want to try and develop a way to do it to produce consistently good heads you need to practice in batches.

Start with 30 heads all the same size, do 10 one way and cure to see the results. Then do 10 more maybe adding more or less color. Then do the final 30 another way and see how they come out. You have to do it that way simply because of the randomness. Doing it like that will help you know what kind of color ratios work best. I'd like to know how it goes and would love to hear the results you get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1