Big Epp

Do-it poison mold

I just got the do-it poison tail mold. The 1/8 oz head takes a smaller weed guard and does not come with a base hole pin.  Can I just separate a regular sized weed guard in half for the smaller head? Is there a way to pin it, or do I just mold it with the guard in place? Thanks!

After experimenting with pouring the lead with the weedguard in place, I’m not a fan. There’s a reason they made the base hole pins. The heat of the molten lead melts the fibers of the weedguard and flairs what remains above the head. It makes for funky look and presentation. Try contacting Cadman for some base hole pins that will fit that smaller cavity and order some small weedguards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I, have found an easier way to pour weedguards in a mold without getting all of the strands fanned out. I've tried this on the small .078 weedguard holes and the .050 holes. I went on line and found some really small diameter heat shrink tubing that fits around the weedguard. Put the heatshrink tubing around the weedguard (it will be a snug fit). Stick the whole assembly into the mold where the weedguard is supposed to go.  Push the weedguard up against the hook and back off the  heat shrink tubing so it only goes to the top of the jig head in the mold, not all the way into the mold. Close the mold and pour away. Once you open the mold slide off the heat shrink tubing. The weedguard strands stay intact. I am off to work but I will post a pic tonight. Also I found the heat shrink tubing on Amamzon. I don't remember if I bought precut pieces or a roll and cut 40 or 50 pieces to the length of the weedguard. It really is easy. More info to follow tonight.

Just a note, I only pour weedguards in place, when someone isn't going to powder paint or if someone is going to airbrush. You can't powder paint jig bodies with weedgurds in place, because you will melt the weedguards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1