william cohen

Flex Seal

I have some questions for you.

Can this be applied to powder painted jigs?

Is this a clear coat?

Have you done any testing on its duarbility?

What is the shelf life of the can or bottle?

How do you buy it?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by cadman

Do you mean he "Flex Seal" we see with the guy sealing leaky boats, leaky basement windows, etc., etc.

If so, then it is a liquid rubber, and I have no doubt the clear will work for YOUR application.  It will not bring out the "pop" or ultra clear and depth that many of our preferred coatings do, but, and I want to emphasize this, there is not ONE clear coat for every application.

No doubt it will not hold up well to pike or Muskie teeth, but I bet it will hold up to crappie and trout and similar small tooth critters very well.

This is a rubberized compound. I don't see why it can to be used over powder paint. crystal clear. I've used it lead jig heads. This is an outside covering for leaks .Shelf life , I've had my can for 3 years, you must seal the can as quickly as possible it dries when exposed to air. I  use a small amt, in a plastic cup, and cover can and seal firmly. You need a miniscule amount to cover one blade. I use an artist brush , buy on Amazon very cheap. Discard after use. After 3 years the jig heads are fine.  PS The first can I purchased I left the the top off over night .In the AM it was rubber. It's sold in all major stores. I bought a small can to seal some leaks in my roof, did a good job. Thank you for your questions. The only complaint I have is that is not a smooth finish because of the texture of the rubber.

16 minutes ago, william cohen said:

This is a rubberized compound. I don't see why it can to be used over powder paint. crystal clear. I've used it lead jig heads. This is an outside covering for leaks .Shelf life , I've had my can for 3 years, you must seal the can as quickly as possible it dries when exposed to air. I  use a small amt, in a plastic cup, and cover can and seal firmly. You need a miniscule amount to cover one blade. I use an artist brush , buy on Amazon very cheap. Discard after use. After 3 years the jig heads are fine.  PS The first can I purchased I left the the top off over night .In the AM it was rubber. It's sold in all major stores. I bought a small can to seal some leaks in my roof, did a good job. Thank you for your questions. The only complaint I have is that is not a smooth finish because of the texture of the rubber.

Thank You for your answers.

The clear Flex Seal can turn opaque after repeated exposure to the elements. This doesn’t matter much when sealing a gutter on a house. On a dark lure, it can end up looking cloudy. It also won’t hold up to rocks and probably won’t do well in wood. On hot days, it becomes softer making it more subject to penetration. Once water gets in behind it, I have seen it peel off.  I have seen it work well in a static situation where it just sits there like sealing around trim on a shed. I have used it to seal a crack in my OnStar antenna on my SUV and its gets worn down after a year or two and needs to be recoated. 

Edited by JD_mudbug
typo

A cheap, durable, easy-to-use clear coat for jigs and spinnerbaits is Dollar Store clear nail polish.  It cures hard enough to fish overnight.  I don't use in on my power coated baits, since powder coat is almost bullet proof by itself, but I often paint jigs and spinnerbaits with Createx air brush paint to get more complicated or different colors than the powder coat I have.  After priming them with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer, I paint them with the Createx. Then I top coat them with the nail polish.  It holds up for years.  If one does get nicked, it's a simple matter to touch it up and then use it again the next day.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1