william cohen

Adding extra wieghts to spinners

William. A fisherman may try to adapt or modify a lure in the field  by adding weight to a hook or by  putting a weight ahead of the lure on the line using some kind of swivel or leader to get the bait to sink deeper or cast further. Adding weight will effect action by imparting drag and will change retrieval angles  etc.  I would not say that hook weighting is a preferred option. But it may give someone a chance at putting a lure in the strike zone when you don't have any other options available.

• Like 1

One advantage to having the weight added to the hook is that it gets more weight toward the back which helps with casting distance as that weight will lead the way on the cast. It's one of the reason an egg sinker is put on the wire shaft first (at the bottom) when building a bucktail. With the spinner body and hook weight being at the end it also cuts down on center of gravity tumbling in the air problems. 

On a spinnerbait or single hook spinner it can be easier to add weight to the hook. You can wrap lead wire around the hook or squeeze on a rubber core weight with the rubber remove. On spinnerbaits, bucktails or roostertail type spinners, the skirt/dressing is before the hook and hides the weight. 

• Like 1

I don't add weight to spinnerbaits. I either go up one size weight, or if it is running to high then reel slower and if it is running too low, then reel faster. It is that simple. You can control where your spinnerbait should be by doing this and letting the fish tell you if they want a fast or slow retrieve.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

Same for me for the most part. But sometimes you want a small profile spinnerbait that runs deep. You can wait and let the bait sink down and reel slow to keep it down. Sometimes the small blades don’t spin well at such a slow speed. By going slow, you also cover less water.  In the past, I would add weight to the hook.  I have an assortment of the hidden weight spinnerbaits for that now.

You could also be on a trip where you couldn't bring all your gear and don't have access to a tackle shop. I have had to add weight to a lure in a situation where your gear is limited. It's definitely not ideal but you have to make do with what you have with you.

Edited by JD_mudbug
missing info
  • Like 1