Tiderunner

Vacuum Chamber

32 minutes ago, bryanmc said:

5 gallons MF soft sinking $155

5 gallons dead on black $110

And now that MF has free shipping....   well.

Yup......seems like a no-brainer to me, but again prices have gone up so much that I can see the need for change. 

42 minutes ago, Bass-Boys said:

Dead on is $51.82 ( gallon )  with the shipping to me . 

MF is FREE shipping 

Wow.....over 50 bucks shipped for a single gallon.  That's crazy!

I just did a mock order with MF

$155 for a 5-gallon drum, 40 bucks shipping.  That shipping fee looks to be pretty much anywhere in the US.

195 total = 39 bucks per gallon

Sorry I'm just not seeing any reason to purchase a vacuum chamber unless you are mass producing, in which case I sure hope you're buying more than one-gallon containers! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsworms said:

I just did a mock order with MF

$155 for a 5-gallon drum, 40 bucks shipping.  That shipping fee looks to be pretty much anywhere in the US.

195 total = 39 bucks per gallon

Sorry I'm just not seeing any reason to purchase a vacuum chamber unless you are mass producing, in which case I sure hope you're buying more than one-gallon containers! 

not sure what the price of plastic has to do with getting a vac chamber, but bait plastics is 126 for a 5 gallon bucket with free shipping (25.20 a gallon shipped), and IMO its great plastic. i never tried MF because they were so much more expensive than everyone else (other than lurecraft), but i have never heard a bad thing about it, just cant bring myself to spend 60 on a gallon of plastic (or 40 per for 5 gallons!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canga~ said:

not sure what the price of plastic has to do with getting a vac chamber, but bait plastics is 126 for a 5 gallon bucket with free shipping (25.20 a gallon shipped), and IMO its great plastic. i never tried MF because they were so much more expensive than everyone else (other than lurecraft), but i have never heard a bad thing about it, just cant bring myself to spend 60 on a gallon of plastic (or 40 per for 5 gallons!)

Price of plastisol really doesn't have anything to do with a vac. Its just us giving our opinion on the subject. Its just a debate, If a guy has his mind set on getting a vac that's great , his choice. I do not have one and do not need one but I do deal with bubbles. I also do not make clear baits. If I made clear baits I mite think differently about getting one .  Every one has an opinion none are right or wrong. 

• Like 2

5 gallons MF $155.00 + 32.99 shipping. (187.99)

5 gallons Bait Plastics $126.00 no shipping

$61.99 is a lot of money for a little guy.

Don't take many gallons to justify a vacuum chamber if a person chooses. I really don't have many issues with the BP unless the humidity is high.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, basskat said:

5 gallons MF $155.00 + 32.99 shipping. (187.99)

5 gallons Bait Plastics $126.00 no shipping

$61.99 is a lot of money for a little guy.

Don't take many gallons to justify a vacuum chamber if a person chooses. I really don't have many issues with the BP unless the humidity is high.

Got it, brother.  I guess I'm just bummed that there's such a difference in the quality.  In the end, it's up to you guys, the bait makers.  Happy Holidays and have a great 2022! 

Man, this thread was all over the place!  The baits I make are for use by me, my son, and what I share with friends. If I want them as perfect as possible as I can make them, I will do so. As far as spending the money on a vacuum chamber, that really is my own business. I also have a bunch of Amazon gift cards I can use. So cost is not an issue.

The two positive takeaways from this thread are, get the 5 gallon chamber, as I use only 2 cup pyrex and for laminates I'll need to heat two at a time.

And I go through about a gallon of MF soft sinking plastisol a month. But it seems I always run low or run out when I need the stuff. So I'm thinking about getting a 5 gallon. Seems to me I'd get 5 gallons for the price of three, or somewhere around there. 5 gallons would last me a year.

Although I'll probably stick with MF, I may try a gallon of Calhoun's. I know I'll never use Dead On again. But I will try some of their other products

I also make a lot of floating worms like the old Berkley ones that are no longer made. I can try Bait Plastics or Calhouns for those.

Or maybe use those two for saltwater. Their gonna get shredded anyway so cheaper is better.

My final question to you guys that use the 5 gal MF? How do you stir it? How do you install that faucet?

The valve (faucet) screws in.  There's a knockout plug in the cap.  You unscrew the cap, knock out the plug, screw the valve (faucet) in and screw the cap back on.  I've never had to stir MF regular, it doesn't settle out like some.  You can always pick the container up and slosh - shake it up some if you want. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bryanmc said:

The valve (faucet) screws in.  There's a knockout plug in the cap.  You unscrew the cap, knock out the plug, screw the valve (faucet) in and screw the cap back on.  I've never had to stir MF regular, it doesn't settle out like some.  You can always pick the container up and slosh - shake it up some if you want. 

When we first moved, my wife found a 5 gallon MF jug that was about 2 gallons down.  This thing had been sitting in my mess for about 7 years and I was easily able to use it with very little shaking.  As you mentioned, I'm not even sure I needed to shake it, but felt almost required to after that long.  LOL.   

• Like 1