Bentrod425

DWP - first attempt and a shout out.

Want to say thanks to everyone on this forum who've posted info on using Durham's Water Putty to make molds.  

I made my first casting mold with the stuff a couple weeks ago and finally got around to pouring a couple prototypes.  Needs a bit of refinement, but was shocked at how well it turned out for the very first attempt and probably a sub-par setup.   

I did dry the completed mold in the oven at 200 degrees for a couple hours and then just let it sit in there overnight.  

Prior to pouring I put the mold back in the oven for an hour at 170 degrees to heat up the mold.  I'd probably increase the heat a bit next time for that pre-heat process.  I did forgot to add any type of release agent to the mold prior to pouring, so thought I'd just made a critical error, but the lead popped out quite easily despite.  

The result may not be picture perfect, but still usable and I learned a lot for the next mold making attempt. 

PS - original lure on top in pic and poured lure below it. 

IMG_7690.jpeg

Edited by Bentrod425
Additional text

I have used Bondo Body Repair many times in the past with good results. 

Here are some of the good things abt it . Easy to use ,  Can be thinned with lacquer thinner for more detail. When thinner is used there are no bubbles to contend with. I use play dough to set the original in  to do 1/2 mold .

Not so good things.  If lead is too hot past the pouring stage in time it will warp the mold. I've never poured more the 30 or 40 objects , after that it looses it's detail. Mold has to be clamped together. Be careful when clamped if the is a small exit in the mold you could get burned.    

• Like 1