morphlures

Dick Nite Top Coat Storage Solution

Hey guys! 

First, I'll say thankyou for all of the contributors to this site. A lot of bright minds around here for sure!

I've had some woes with the Dick Nite Top Coat curing on me when storing the product. I did some searching on here and found some awesome ideas like poking a hole in the lid and bottom of can, and using a screw in the lid to regulate flow and a screw in the bottom to seal it off when you're finished. The problem is, in my application I need to thin this stuff pretty aggressively (40%-50%), so that trick wouldn't work for me due to the large volume I end up with being larger than the cans capacity.

I did some searching and found some good quality large syringes on Amazon where I could "suck up" the Dick Nite and the thinner, purge the air, and seal the tip with the cap that comes with the syringe. So far so good, and Dick approved of my method so I feel pretty good about it. 

Just thought I would share in case anyone else out there is having this issue!

Brentbitmap.thumb.png.bcbc2df1435d9f905cfc98bde04df24b.png

• Like 2

Thanks -

I've used the screw on top/bottom method - and honestly- think it works great.  I had one can that lasted 9-12 months after first opening it before the DN started to thicken.  I only do a "few" baits at a time.  My last can (still in use) I didn't bother with a screw on top - instead poked a hole with a screw driver thru the lid and after I was done just put a small piece of HVAC foil tape over it.  Seems to work just fine.... and each time I need more DN - I just poke a hole through the tape and go - then put another piece of HVAC tape over it to seal it back up.  I feel I get much better "seal" with the tape vs the screw as the lid/cans are such thin material - and being it's foil tape - I'm "pretty sure" it makes a barrier seal.

Similar to you - I also thin it.  I pour out what i need into a small glass jar THEN add thinner as necessary.  This way the product is always "fresh/not thinned".

The syringe method you mention is a novel idea as well - being that it minimizes the "exposure" time for the DN.  Try the foil tape - might be super easy to use with the needle.

J.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SlowFISH said:

Thanks -

I've used the screw on top/bottom method - and honestly- think it works great.  I had one can that lasted 9-12 months after first opening it before the DN started to thicken.  I only do a "few" baits at a time.  My last can (still in use) I didn't bother with a screw on top - instead poked a hole with a screw driver thru the lid and after I was done just put a small piece of HVAC foil tape over it.  Seems to work just fine.... and each time I need more DN - I just poke a hole through the tape and go - then put another piece of HVAC tape over it to seal it back up.  I feel I get much better "seal" with the tape vs the screw as the lid/cans are such thin material - and being it's foil tape - I'm "pretty sure" it makes a barrier seal.

Similar to you - I also thin it.  I pour out what i need into a small glass jar THEN add thinner as necessary.  This way the product is always "fresh/not thinned".

The syringe method you mention is a novel idea as well - being that it minimizes the "exposure" time for the DN.  Try the foil tape - might be super easy to use with the needle.

J.

Foil tape is another great hack for sealing it up. Good idea. If I ever start using the stuff in smaller qtys for smaller batches I will definitely try the screw method. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1