Jig Man

Hook integrity?

I have a couple of thousand 90° jig hooks and only a few 30° ones.  I have a specialty mold modified to take the 30° hook. I use it for shaky.  On a whim I decided to try to make a 30 from a 90.  It worked without the hook breaking. The stressed metal will be incased in the lead.  I’m thinking that I won’t have any problem with the hook breaking using 12# line.  I don’t want to bend 50 hooks and find out that this is a big mistake.  Any of you have experience along this line?

Edited by Jig Man

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

I have a couple of thousand 90° jig hooks and only a few 30° ones.  I have a specialty mold modified to take the 30° hook. I use it for shaky.  On a whim I decided to try to make a 30 from a 90.  It worked without the hook breaking. The stressed metal will be incased in the lead.  I’m thinking that I won’t have any problem with the hook breaking using 12# line.  I don’t want to bend 50 hooks and find out that this is a big mistake.  Any of you have experience along this line?

I bend hooks all the time. Mostly Mustad’s in standard wire and light wire. Never had a problem. Be careful if the hooks you are bending are Gamakatsu. They seem to be a little brittle.

• Like 1

I have bent quite a few, as you are aware...you are creating a stress point at the area of the bend.

I have had decent luck with doing this but have lost some very large fish due to failure at the stress point, so just know that anytime you do this failure is very possible.

• Like 1