JD_mudbug

Luhr Jensen Speed Trap

Thanks for a thorough rundown on those baits.  It sounds like quality control is getting it done.  I am a speed trap fan as well.  Speed traps fish very well here on the California Delta for both Largemouth Bass and Stripers.  I had not heard of the Speed N. Thanks for sharing.

Barry

• Like 1

I am so glad that I am not the only person that Obsesses over each detail of weight and body...I am no where analytical as you but I have been Obsessing over snap-rings and hook sizes/styles for years now.. I am here to tell you with PVC baits it makes all the difference if you want to really crush them. 

• Thanks 1

Wow great write up brutha! I an a speed trap junky and also fish them a lot in the ca delta. They are great baits I would have to say I think most of mine are probably pre 2006. I will be a little more attentive next time I pick one up now. I will also check out that new norman. Thanks for taking the time to do and post this.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Matt,

If you buy them in person, hold the bait up to a light and look for fisheyes on the lip. I have only found 2 new ones with fisheyes. I never noticed the fisheyes until I compared the old vs new baits. The new baits with fisheyes on the lips also have a small fish eye or 2 on the body towards the tail which can be hard to spot on the busier paint jobs. I often forget to look over baits in a store before I buy them. I never bothered to touch up the clear coat on those lips, but I did on the body fisheyes to protect the paint. Most of the new ones are well made. The body dents, even the large dents on the old baits, don’t affect the action. 

Mark,

I remember your Speed Traps. They are impressive. Your pumpkinseed paint job on one of those would be deadly. Did you use polycarbonate for the lip?

For more authenticity, you could have carved in a molding dent.  :)

When I find a lure I really like, I tend to buy a lot of backups. So, I have not had the need to make one yet. Over the past 5 years, I have started doing more pike/musky fishing. So, I have been making mostly larger hardbaits, inlines, and spinnerbaits.  At some point, I plan on attempting a bigger Speed Trap that keeps the same tight wiggle. 

Happy New Year,

Jim

Edited by JD_mudbug
typo